Greyhound Nature?

Guest GreyGrey

Guest GreyGrey

Hey!

My family have been thinking about getting another dog for a while. We thought a greyhound would be a great choice because of their laziness and soppyness.

Im just wondering how they are towards effection. We have a daft cav we can go up to and fuss and cuddle whatever we like any time.

Does the same go for greys? We want to make the right decision and we dont want to rush into anything finding we made the wrong choice or something. I think I know the answer as I have met them before and they are a lovely breed.

Just like any breed, they're all different. I've had some that are more independent than others. The 2 I have now are real snugga-bugs and love to cuddle. When you fill out the application with the adoption group tell them you want a real cuddlebug and they will hook you up. They are used to being handled by lots of people (trainers, etc) so they're used to being handled regularly.

I, personally, love them and can't imagine having any other breed. :)

Good luck with your search.

Well, I have had greys that love to be loved on but I have also had greys that loved to be loved on when THEY wanted to be loved on. When you first get a grey, it's not smart to bother them when they are on their bed. So, I think a grey would be good for you but I can't imagine having any other kind of dog. As I type this I am getting snuggles from our old man. He wants lovin when he wants lovin. Even he has been more of a cuddlebug lately! Good Luck!

Summer loves being loved. I can snuggle her whenever I want, whether or not she's awake or asleep. She was this way when she came from the kennel. But they aren't all like that. Many become snugglers but don't start out that way. Some are always more aloof. Most, though, seem to love attention.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest jonesyvoor

I can go pet and stroke Jersey whenever I want (even when she's sleeping) and she always enjoys it. In fact if I do it when she's sleeping she'll roll over onto her back so i can rub her belly. She'll snuggle at times too but other times she'll push me away with those guns of hers and let me know she wants me out of her face for a bit. She never growls, snaps, bites or shows any signs of aggression when i touch her.

WP_20121223_004_zpsfbde9d8a.jpg

Like others have said Greyhounds come in all flavours from super snuggler to don't touch me (although the latter is rare). However, regardless of the character of the dog, I highly recommend that you take things very slowly and give any Greyhound plenty of time to learn to trust you. Build up the amount and type of contact slowly and with respect. There are many that prefer not to be touched when they are on their beds but otherwise love pats, scratches, and rubs. I think where Greyhound do stand the most is in their emotional intensity. You have to own one to understand what I mean.

Guest blueberri

I agree with all of the above, particularly giving them time to trust you. There's a huge difference between the affection shown because you're there... and the affection shown because they trust and love you. From time to time I lie down next to my boy's bed... if he's not in the mood for cuddles he will stretch his legs out as a barrier, but when he is, he scoots his head and rests it against mine. The look in his eyes is something truly heartwarming, as I stroke his head and play with his ears. He too bares the belly for a wub... but it's the heads resting close that makes me feel close to him.

If you know you want a cuddler, then make sure you tell the adoption group that's what you want. The more direction you can give them, the better they can match your wants to the dogs available. And, as others have said, many don't start out being cuddlers, but become them as time goes on. Remember, they have never had to share their space - at all - throughout their racing careers, so it can take some time for them to get used to others being close to them, especially when sleeping.

We've had 8 greyhounds and three of them were *very* space aggressive/sleep aggressive when they arrived. One never got any better and we learned to leave her alone unless she was standing up. The other two gradually became wonderful cuddlers.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Scouts_mom

As others have alluded to, at the farms and tracks greys are not used to being touched while sleeping. So immediately trying to cuddle with one may result in you getting bitten. So you need to proceed slowly and let the grey get used to you and realize that you may be touching him in his bed. It is vital to teach any children in the household about this. We teach our kids to run up and hug their friends, but they should never do this to a dog, especially a newly homed grey. In time it is very likely the grey will learn to love cuddles. And in my experience it is often the big boys that are the super cuddlers.

All of my hounds have been squishy love bugs, but 3 out of 4 don't/didn't care to be touched while they were in their beds. Their beds are their safe havens and greyhounds (like other dogs) can be funny about being messed with while they're asleep. My girl doesn't care if you approach her or pet her while she's sleeping but she's the odd one out.

However, all of mine have loved to come up to me while I'm sitting on the couch and shove their heads in my armpit or flip my hand onto their heads for lovins. Tiny and Riley had/have a fixation with rubbing against me like giant cats... swishing and swirling around my legs. Raven is crazy for tummy rubs. If you ask her if she wants one, she will flip over and present her tummy.

They are all individuals, and some are cuddlier than others. Some take a while to warm up. Some are very cuddly but on their own terms, when they feel like it. I agree that you should tell your adoption group what you're looking for so they can give you a love bug. Even so, always be cautious when you approach a sleeping or resting dog, and respect their personal space.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Annie B. loves to be pet, loved on and fondled, whether she's asleep, awake, laying down or standing, and she seeks it out from me a few times a day as well as I seek her out, but I don't consider her a cuddler/snuggler. She never gets on the couch or my bed to share space or be close or snuggle. She will, though, when I'm sitting down, bury her head between my knees and doze off while I scratch and rub her neck and shoulders, a favorite of hers.