Charlie Peed On Our Bed...in His Sleep?

Guest FrankieWylie

Guest FrankieWylie

Charlie isn't one to lay in bed with us, but tonight he got up here and slept with us until about 2:30.

I just shoved my foot under the covers and where he was laying is all wet. Not soaked, but wet through the comforter and sheet.

Is this a freak thing? Was he sleeping that soundly? Should I be worried? This is a first...at least as far as I know. Maybe I need to start checking his bed?

Accidents of this nature happen with age.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Meeka used to do that, but she was eleven and had kidney disease. I used to wake her up and take her out after midnight. It only happened a few times a month, and there was no smell because her urine was so diluted at that point. I just put adult pee pads on her side under the sheet. Some dogs are very sound sleepers!

If he is not an older guy, you may want to check with your vet.

I wonder was it drool? My dogs tend to drool when their faces are directly on the sleeping surface. If it wasn't soaking wet, maybe it was that? Did it smell like pee?

Guest zombrie

Could he have been licking? My GSD has picked up a new (and slightly obnoxious) habit of obsessively licking her bed to the point we always have to go over and give a quick sniff to make sure she didn't have an accident.

Maybe GeorgeofNE will chime in here... I think she's had some incontinence problems with him and maybe be better able to advise.

If Charlie hasn't shown any other symptoms of bladder/urinary problems though, it's a definite possibility that he had a seizure in his sleep (in which case, the vet can't really do anything). They could do bloodwork to rule out thyroid issues, but 9/10 times, it's neurological. While scary to watch, seizures are fairly common. Henry didn't start having them until he was about 4-years-old, and even at that, they were minimal (once or twice a year). Unless the dog starts having cluster seizures or has them 3+ times per month, it's not necessary to medicate. Was Charlie acting strangely at all? You said he didn't move all night- that would also be typical of a seizure because they are extremely tired afterwards. Did you notice any panting or confusion?

Guest mbfilby

Our Mickey used to have accidents that got more frequent with age, however, she had always had infrequent accidents, they didn't come on suddenly. When Mickey started having accidents constantly, it was due to a serious medical condition.

Our Loki has had one accident where he peed in his sleep. A vet exam showed nothing amiss, but he hoards water, so we monitor his intake.

Guest FrankieWylie

The only thing he did differently was sleep on our bed. He does not usually sleep with us. Throughout the night he was his usual grumbly self when one of the other dogs got too close to him.

So, he slept with us until 2:30 when I got out of bed. They all three got up with me. After that, Magic got back in the bed and Sherry got on the floor where Charlie usually sleeps. He was none too happy.

Well I didn't go back to sleep and Charlie wouldn't settle. So I got him a blanket and covered him up good. It was then that I noticed he was really "lip licky" and kept moving his tongue around. I just thought this was him being uneasy bc sherry had his bed. Maybe it was something else.

I've only experienced seizures with chihuahuas, and those are super obvious.

I noticed he was really "lip licky" and kept moving his tongue around.

Henry will sometimes do this during a seizure. Without being there, it does sound possible that Charlie may have had a partial (focal) seizure. It's different than a full grand mal, because they may only have one thing that is affected (commonly facial twitches, lip-licking, snapping the air). Henry has both grand mal and partial, but he only seems to void his bladder after the partials.

Guest zombrie

A focal seizure is possible. Especially the fact that he couldn't settle.

But think, did he drink more than usual before going to bed? Perhaps he could have a UTI or bladder stones? The lip licking can be a sign that he is in pain too. Has he been needing to go out more than usual today?

Edited by zombrie

Guest FrankieWylie

Nothing tonight. Or while I was home today.

Part of me wants to have him sleep in the bed again just to see if it happens.

But we will be keeping an eye out for sure. I checked his bed when we got home and it was dry. Just trying to process all the suggestions and what I could/should be looking for!

Thanks y'all. I was pretty freaked out :/