Coconut Oil And Enzymatic Spray

I don't recall who posted recently about using coconut oil for brushing their hound's teeth, but THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I have been brushing my furkids' teeth every other day with organic, virgin coconut oil, and they love the taste, so they let me get in and do a really thorough job. I have also been using an enzymatic dental spray daily . Their teeth look good, but more importantly, their gums look healthy, and no longer. bleed when I brush. I've also been giving chews a couple times a week - bully stick, beef trachea, tripe strips or chiken feeties. They are going in for their annual in January, and I am hoping neither of them will need a dental in 2013.

On a side note, Best Bully Sticks, bestbullysticks.com is having a Black Friday sale - 12% off if you use code BFCM12.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Where do you all buy your coconut oil from? It seems my small town isn't ready for something like that just yet...

I know that coconut oil comes as a solid...do you do anything to it to melt it down before you use it for teethbrushing? TIA!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

which kind of toothbrush do you all use? I purchased a soft child's brush. I am going to try the coconut oil and purchase the petrodex also :) brit

I use a full head adult soft bristle toothbrush. I'm sure a child's brush would work just fine.

Theresa (Tess)

Where do you all buy your coconut oil from? It seems my small town isn't ready for something like that just yet...

I know that coconut oil comes as a solid...do you do anything to it to melt it down before you use it for teethbrushing? TIA!

I got mine at Trader Joes. You can also find it at whole foods, or most health-food stores. If you want to order it online, Vitacost.com has it for a great price. Right now their own brand is buy one get one half off. It is solid at room temp, but you can squish it into the brush bristles and use it that way if you want. I use about a tablespoon full and put it in a small ramekin and microwave it for about 8 - 10 seconds - just enough to soften it. That's usually enough for both hounds.

Theresa (Tess)

I got mine at Trader Joes. You can also find it at whole foods, or most health-food stores. If you want to order it online, Vitacost.com has it for a great price. Right now their own brand is buy one get one half off. It is solid at room temp, but you can squish it into the brush bristles and use it that way if you want. I use about a tablespoon full and put it in a small ramekin and microwave it for about 8 - 10 seconds - just enough to soften it. That's usually enough for both hounds.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check out Trader Joe's the next time I run errands in the city.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest greysmitten

Coconut oil can also often be found in the "international" food aisles of grocery stores. If you're in a fairly multicultural city, pop into an Indian grocery store!

Just make sure the oil you buy is VIRGIN RAW, not processed (which is only good for ... lubricating things?)

At this time of year, CO is pretty darn solid here. I've been using less than a teaspoon for my three hounds, just gouging it out, sticking it to the rim of the sink, and jamming the toothbrush bristles into it, some for each side. I rinse the brushes with super-hot water.

I've also been using electric toothbrushes on all my dogs over the years. There's some initial "hey! what the ...???", but then I think they take to it easier than regular brushes. Maybe the buzz is sort of interesting feeling? *shrugging*

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Just make sure the oil you buy is VIRGIN RAW, not processed (which is only good for ... lubricating things?)

At this time of year, CO is pretty darn solid here. I've been using less than a teaspoon for my three hounds, just gouging it out, sticking it to the rim of the sink, and jamming the toothbrush bristles into it, some for each side. I rinse the brushes with super-hot water.

I've also been using electric toothbrushes on all my dogs over the years. There's some initial "hey! what the ...???", but then I think they take to it easier than regular brushes. Maybe the buzz is sort of interesting feeling? *shrugging*

If it doesn't say raw on the bottle, just organic, virgin co, is it processed? It doesn't say anything about processing .... Hope I'm not using the wrong thing.

Theresa (Tess)