Buddy Puked Up His Heartworm Pill - Now What?

Guest iLoveLucie

Guest iLoveLucie

I gave our 2 hounds their montly heart worm preventative this morning with their breakfast - I hid it in the scoop of yogurt on top of their kibble. I watched to make sure the finished it all. Lucie did just fine. Buddy ate a little kibble but all the yogurt and his pill. Then about an hour later he puked up what he ate. I'm thinking the medicine upset his tummy since he didn't eat all his breakfast (which isn't totally uncommon - he will sometimes eat only part of breakfast, but all his dinner, he is a little picky.)

He didn't vomit again and ate dinner just fine, so I don't think he is sick - really do think the medicine didn't sit well on his empty stomach... So in the future I will for sure only give the medicine with dinner. But in the meantime, does he need another dose of his heartworm pill? Over the summer our vet switched from Interceptor to Trifexis. I'll call the Vet in the AM to see what they say, but curious if others have had this situation?

I use Trifexis with our dogs.

I haven't had one get puked up but both of our dogs are fond of licking off the flavoring and dropping the rest on the floor. I used to follow them and pick up the pills once they dropped it....then stuff it inside a treat...sometimes a little piece of bread with some peanut butter or a little bit of cheese. It's always in something we normally don't give them just because we want them to look forward to having something 'special'.

What I do now is quarter the pill and stuff each quarter in something tasty...so they each get 4 little tasty treats...and a pill.

If your dog didn't actually keep the pill down....just re-use it.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Guest iLoveLucie

If your dog didn't actually keep the pill down....just re-use it.

I wish it was that easy and have popped a pill back in when it would fall out of someones mouth in the past. But in this case Buddy puked a while after eating so there was a soupy half-digested mess of water, kibble and yogurt... the pill was not exactly identifiable at that point unfortunately (and honestly it was pretty gross so I wasn't thinking to try to salvage it).

Sounds like it is OK to try again - will wait until tonight, after dinner - and I will break it into smaller peices and stuff into sometimes extra special for him. Thanks all.

Reni, even Toni won't chew those Trifexis pills - they're pretty nasty. I have started breaking them apart and giving them in smaller pieces, as suggested above, in a bunch of canned food.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest iLoveLucie

Reni, even Toni won't chew those Trifexis pills - they're pretty nasty. I have started breaking them apart and giving them in smaller pieces, as suggested above, in a bunch of canned food.

Hey Chris, Very interesting! I thought Buddy was just being picky (as usual). Lucie ate it right up - granted I'm not sure she chewed it, just gulped down the glob of yogurt the pill was hidden in. I know she is VERY food motivated but sounds like this makes her a super chow hound :)

Well, Toni eats dog poop, so they're KNOT as good as that! ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly