Vaccine Reaction

Guest WhiteWave

Guest WhiteWave

Joey got his last puppy shots and rabies today. I think it is the rabies that is causing the problem. There is a small lump but he screams anytime it is touched. Even just laying on that side causes him to scream. It is not red and doesn't feel hot. I gave him a benedryl and 1/2 a tramadol and he is sleeping (on his other side of course). He did eat supper and did play with Jack earlier. Should I just watch it? Is there anything else I should do for him?

Watch closely. One of ours ended up in the ER then a vet stay for 3 days because of a reaction....caused an internal abscess in the muscle. He was wild with pain (needed a Fentanyl patch) because of it.

For us, it wasn't a vaccine...it was an Imizol injection for Babesia, which is reported to be an awful injection in the first place so that could have played a part...however, it was not a good experience. Joey will probably tell you if and when he needs to get it checked out. If he is still really painful tomorrow, I wouldn't wait. Hope the reaction cools off overnight.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road