Another Big D Question

My baby girl just turned 12 a few weeks ago. She's never been one to have more than semi-soft poo but is not given to bouts of diarrhea. This past week, she had the Big D all over the car. I was out of town and have not been able to monitor her output since. This morning, she turned her nose up at kibble (and has been less interested in kibble over the past month, but still eats it) but aain, sh ate it. Later, I found her leaking diarrhea on the couch.

My go-to for non-explosive D is boiled turkey and rice. Is this still the right course? How long do I wait to see if it clears up before I check with the vet?

Many thanks.

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

Vet tomorrow.

I would fast meanwhile (24-36 hours) but make sure she stays hydrated. I don't always fast, but when there's little/no control, I think the gut does need a chance to rest.

Hope your girl is back to herself soonest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You want to get a gut-active anti-inflammatory on board (metronidazole or perhaps tylocine if she can't have metro). When they're that sick, I also want a quick CBC (blood count) as well -- make sure they're not horribly dehydrated by comparison with well-dog bloodwork, and check the WBC level. General physical look-and-listen to make sure no gross heart/lung problems contributing to this. Maybe give some IV or sub-Q fluids if any doubt about the hydration level. Get a fecal done just in case, could be parasites although it doesn't sound like it.

ETA: I don't like uncontrollable diarrhea (blowouts and leaking) at the best of times, and less so in an elderly or ill dog. Can be just a nameless virus and all that's needed is supportive care. Can also progress rapidly to HGE or very severe general illness due to dehydration.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You want to get a gut-active anti-inflammatory on board (metronidazole or perhaps tylocine if she can't have metro). When they're that sick, I also want a quick CBC (blood count) as well -- make sure they're not horribly dehydrated by comparison with well-dog bloodwork, and check the WBC level. General physical look-and-listen to make sure no gross heart/lung problems contributing to this. Maybe give some IV or sub-Q fluids if any doubt about the hydration level. Get a fecal done just in case, could be parasites although it doesn't sound like it.

ETA: I don't like uncontrollable diarrhea (blowouts and leaking) at the best of times, and less so in an elderly or ill dog. Can be just a nameless virus and all that's needed is supportive care. Can also progress rapidly to HGE or very severe general illness due to dehydration.

Like :-)