Anyone Have Any Experience With Bloody Noses?

jaym1

While we were at the dog park playing fetch, another large dog decided to go for the same ball tempo was chasing, and ended up t-boning him at full speed with no warning. tempo smashed his face into the other dog, and his nose was bleeding quite profusely. it was making him sneeze, and every time he did that, blood would spatter everywhere. went to the ER, but there wasnt much the vet could do. she put some drops in his nose (i forget what it was -- something with an E) that was supposed to restrict bloodflow. basically, every time he sneezes, he blows the blood clot off the cut, and starts bleeding again. its disgusting. the vet says this could run for up to two days. anyone have any home remedies or clever ways of keeping a greyhound from hemorrhaging all over my apartment for the next 48 hours? aside from holding his head up for the next two days, i cant figure anything out.

i am lucky the injury wasnt more serious. it was a very high speed collision, with both dogs sprinting.

8123493034_7d40c223e7_z.jpg

Edited by jaym1

Poor guy. My Jilly Bean has a tumor in her nose and it bleeds 24/7. I cover my bed and furniture with old sheets to keep her from getting blood on everything. She also sneezes and blows blood everywhere. With your boy I would think keeping him calm for a couple of days might help. Maybe some ice on the bridge of his nose to keep any swelling down. I hope he heals quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Poor guy. If the vet says everything is in good shape, there's not much you can do. You can't stick cotton up his nose, and if the vet would have cauterized with silver nitrate (assuming they could even see/access where the blood was coming from) that would have hurt like the dickens. The only think I could think of is to sedate the poor boy so he sleeps, but then I don't know how wise that is after a head injury.

Basically, I am no help but you have my sympathy.

~Amanda

If you can get it in time, Aminocaproic Acid (trade name Amicar) helps clotting to prevent excessive bleeding in Greyhounds.

Available from a compounding pharmacy in liquid form (beef flavor) or Costco's pharmacy in generic tablet form. Veterinary prescription required. Greyhound dosage is available in this link, see section "Treatment and Prognosis" (Aminocaproic Acid dose in blue text): https://greyhound.os...ancer/index.cfm

Healing thoughts for poor Tempo...

Edited by 3greytjoys

Don't take this the wrong way but ALL my dogs are quite used to muzzles and act like they don't even know they have them on-even the maligator- because I muzzle them often for safety purposes. If your guy doesn't mind muzzles you could put one of the white plastic -forget the name something like kal-san or something -muzzles on and that would probably help a lot to cut down on the blood being shot everywhere when he sneezes. They use them on some greyt farms-sorry can't think of the name. Actually even some of the racing muzzies might help. Since its short term and if he doesn't mind I don't know what the harm could be of using it and it seems like it would help cut down on all teh splatter?

I think the vet tried to use epinephrine -really not much else you can do--it just might take time. I had a same thing happen to a horse--now that was a blood bath--looked like a crime scene!

Perhaps a frozen bag of peas on his nose?

thats exactly right -- it was epinepherine. not using amicar because the problem isnt the actual clotting. the bleeding will stop and the cuts (two of them, actually, which are close enough to the front of his nostril that you can see them) will begin to clot. its just that the force of his sneezing blows the clot off the cuts every time.

racindog, the muzzle is actually a good idea! he doesn't mind wearing his. sadly, my other grey ate the strap off his muzzle so its no longer wearable. i wish i could think of a way of getting another one soon enough.