Below Racing Weight

Guest Clawsandpaws

Guest Clawsandpaws

Sir Dudley is a 3 year old grey that I have had since feb'12. His racing weight is 69 pounds, however, he shot up to 74 shortly after we got him. He has consistently been around 70-72 pounds since then, his last weigh in was about 2 months ago. I have to move so I wanted to weigh him so that we can narrow our search (some places don't allow 60+ 65+ 70+ 75+ lbs etc.) I honestly thought he has been a little heavier lately, but I weighed him at the vets (first 3 times on my own, then twice with a tech because I thought the machine was wrong.) and he weighed 65.4 lbs... Um...What??

Here are some things:

-Fecals came back good (we did 2 diff samples)

-physical check seemed fine

-He had xrays, blood work done in aug that was okay

-Changed his food from a high fiber rx diet to blue buffalo freedom (grain free) about a month ago.

-Cut down his intake from 4 cups per day to 3.5 I was originally thinking about cutting his food down to three cups since it's grain free.

So...Anyone have any ideas? Maybe he's losing muscles? That's what the vet thinks, Dudley was super muscular when he retired... Im going to try a different scale today

Guest Clawsandpaws

They lose muscle which is more dense than fat so they can look "bigger" at a lower weight

Okay. Lol, good. Thank you! Hopefully that's what it is. Although he did knock down the cookie jar this morning, so maybe he is a little hungry.

They lose muscle which is more dense than fat so they can look "bigger" at a lower weight

This ^^

For a long time, Dazzle was right at racing weight and looked great. Now that he's older and has lost muscle tone, he looks fat at 75 lbs and now lingers around 71-72. Nothing to worry about. :)

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

How does Dudley look now? Can you see ribs, hips? If he looks good, I'd agree with the previous replies about losing muscle. From what I've seen, this doesn't seem too uncommon with the boys. My male raced at 71 lbs, and since he's been retired, he usually stays around 64-66 lbs. A friend's boy raced at 72 lbs and, at 9 years old, he ranges from 63-65 lbs. At one point, he weighed 60 and didn't look skinny! This boy takes his new career of holding down the couch seriously. :)

Here's a photo of my boy when he first retired compared to a more recent pic. He doesn't look much different, but he's lost a lot of muscle mass and weighs about 6-7 lbs less in the photo on the right.

wiki102608vs032411.jpg

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I think I could put George on the scale at my vet's office six times and get at least four or five different readings, so I don't worry about a pound or two either way. And he does, and always has, weigh less than his listed racing weight.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Clawsandpaws

Thanks guys. This is my first grey (first dog, actually) so I was scared! At least now we can get into the "no dogs over 65 lbs" complexes! Lol