Which Pro Biotic Do You Use?

Guest Clawsandpaws

Guest Clawsandpaws

Sir Dudley has been on the vet issued Purina Rx: Forti Flora for a few months now, his poop firmed up almost instantly which was awesome. However, I would prefer to use a different pro biotic as we are moving out of state in a few months and I don't know what vets we will be using (they might no carry it, etc).

So I wanted to gather up a few recommendations!

398245_3926793763695_1280577763_n.jpg

I have given Suzie the Forti-flora that I got from our vet a couple of times after some issues and have been considering a pro-biotic too. I am going to talk to a rep and check out one called Health-gard next week when we are in Abilene, and most likely try it. I know that some of the kennels use it.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

Guest SealDogMermaid

I have been considering some probiotics to add to my male's food as he often has somewhat soft bm's. I have heard of folks just using yogurt added to their meals - is this a good plan? Is the forti-flora more effective?

I've used Forti Flora and it's never made a difference in Annie Bella's output. What works best for her is feeding at meals 1 cup of Nutro Venison and 1/2 cup of Iams in green bag plus a couple of tablespoons of beet pulp (she gets picky if there is less Nutro in the dish which is why I don't feed more of the Iams). The Iams helps a lot, with the beet pulp giving a bit more firmness.

Guest SealDogMermaid

I've used Forti Flora and it's never made a difference in Annie Bella's output. What works best for her is feeding at meals 1 cup of Nutro Venison and 1/2 cup of Iams in green bag plus a couple of tablespoons of beet pulp (she gets picky if there is less Nutro in the dish which is why I don't feed more of the Iams). The Iams helps a lot, with the beet pulp giving a bit more firmness.

Thanks for the tip! They are on nutro venison already but are slowly switching to TOTW high prairie - they are at about half and half right now. I wonder if we should just keep our male with the sensitive stomach at half and half? He's been doing well with the change so far - just a bit of gas which i hear the yogurt helps with? Think i might see if that works before moving on to the probiotic supplement.

Primal Defense. Recommended by my vet. Has HSO organisms in it too. I use it myself. I also feed yogurt daily. Yogurt is "weak" though compared to the concentated probiotic supplements.

Thanks! I will def make a note of Primal Defense! May switch to that if the yogurt thing proves ineffective.

Guest happygrey

We've just started using Proviable-DC (which we got from our vet). It's made a big difference! It's got like 7 strains of doggie-friendly bugs in it. I think our Tatam will probably be on it for good. Wish we knew about it 3 years ago!

Guest Clawsandpaws

We've just started using Proviable-DC (which we got from our vet). It's made a big difference! It's got like 7 strains of doggie-friendly bugs in it. I think our Tatam will probably be on it for good. Wish we knew about it 3 years ago!

Do you "pill" them to take it? Or do you just drop it in their bowl?

Fastrack- much higher quantities of the beneficial flora than the other probiotics, with none of the junk. The #1 ingrediant in FortiFlora is "animal digest" and who wants to feed their dog that? You can read more about, and purchase, the Fastrack here -----> http://1stchoice.us/...e/products.html

Is it the "microbial supplement"?

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Yes- it's called Fastrack microbial supplement. There is a powder for routine use on food, and a gel that can be given directly in the cheek when a dog is off feed.

Guest happygrey

Do you "pill" them to take it? Or do you just drop it in their bowl?

I actually put it in a little slice of banana. He snarfs it right down. :lol