Colitis And Now Peeing In House

Guest fluteplayer67

Guest fluteplayer67

Ugh. We have been trying out a second grey for 2 weeks now and his stools have been completely runny. We tried the pumpkin and yogurt and finally took him to the vet yesterday. The vet said he has colitis. He was also checked for worms but did not have any. He was given a shot and is now on metronidazole 500 mg 2 x a day for 7 days and then 1 tablet once a day for 7 days. His stools look better today.

I am concerned because in his first foster home he had accidents. We contributed that to the fact there were nearly 20 cats in the house. His second foster home said he had no issues. Now we have him and he has had three accidents in 2 1/2 weeks. The first two were first thing in the morning, like he gets too excited when he first gets up and cannot hold it. The second accident was today, right after he ate lunch. He has had two pills of his antibiotic, was up at 4am pacing around so we took him right out and he peed a ton. He then acted like he needed to go at 7am and peed a ton, then at 9:00 and then did not hold it at 11:30 after he ate. Thankfully it was not on our new carpet. I guess it concerns me that he seems to need to go out every couple of hours. He is always very very thirsty but his demeanor is fine, he plays, he runs, etc. He is 3 1/2 years old.

I have a call into the vet to see if this frequent urination could be due to the medicine but it seems very unlikely. He also has terrible breath and horrible teeth and has had a dental. The vet said some of his teeth are bent from chewing on his crate it looks like.

So what to do now? I am a stay at home mom but there are days when I will not be able to get him out every 2 hours. So far he has been fine with the other grey when left out when we are gone, but I just worry. Could he have diabetes or something?

Are you working with a group? Have they done bloodwork and a urinalysis? When mine couldn't hold their pee when normally they could, it's been a UTI.

Will he wear a belly band with an incontinence pad in it? At 13.6 y.o. our Harold has to wear one when we're not home.

Pumpkin had the opposite effect on our Gracie. Instead of firming her up she got worse. I'm guessing the shot your boy got was Cerenia? That and the metro should slow things down. Did he have a change in brands of food without a transition period?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

The injection could have had an impact, especially if it was dex.

It's not unusual for a dog with an upset gut to drink a lot and then be unable to hang on. If you can get his system under control, the problem might resolve. And, as macoduck said, it's always helpful to rule out a UTI.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Good suggestions above. Stress can also cause increased drinking and urination, and any change in routine tends to be stressful for dogs. So it's not unusual for a dog to drink and pee more than normal the first few weeks they are in a new home. This often subsides as they settle in, as long as they do not continue to be stressed by something in their environment or daily interactions.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Stress can also cause increased drinking and urination, and any change in routine tends to be stressful for dogs.

Also an excellent point. When she first came home, Dixie drank buckets. She calmed down after a couple of weeks.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest fluteplayer67

Thanks for the replies. We are working with our greyhound rescue group and Zip is seeing a vet that all the greyhounds there see. I took in his urine sample today and he had some elevated white blood cells and bacteria in it so they went ahead and added another antibiotic. He is now also on cephalexin 500 mg three x a day plus the metronidazole. I guess we will just wait and see how things go. Maybe he is just still settling in and the tummy issues are not helping. Our other grey is so easy, this one is a bit tricky to figure out!