Raw!

Guest BlackandTan

Guest BlackandTan

SO I decided to go to a half and half diet... Dinner I am going to feed raw mainly turkey necks, chicken backs and I would like to do fish once a week... Morning I am still going to give kibble(Im assuming there has to be something beneficial to their diet in it) any ways Im looking for feeding tips. I have read a lot and im a little confused on if the meat is supposed to be thawed?

Any other good proteins that people use let me know.

Thanks

I do thaw the turkey necks. Da Vid broke one of his canines almost to the gum line. Now, I don't know if it was on a turkey neck or not, but it just goes to reason that a frozen anything could break a tooth. I also feed mine 1/2 and 1/2 only I do it at every meal. Mine really like tripe or turkey (both have bone in them) They have beautiful coats. Both of them are black.

Feeding mainly turkey necks and chicken backs is going to add too much bone to their diet. You need to also feed muscle meat. Chicken leg quarters are good for this. If you were to divide a whole chicken into portions and feed it all over a few days then ideally you would be giving the right proportions of muscle, bone and organs.

Feeding mainly turkey necks and chicken backs is going to add too much bone to their diet

Agreed. If you just want to give a neck or back a day for teeth that should be fine, but if you are looking into a half and half diet, you will need to add some boneless meat (heart, stewing beef, ground meat) and perhaps some organs. :)

I found a wonderful pet food store that I purchase my raw and some cooked products, it is a bit out of my way but I buy 4 weeks supply and put it in the freezer so all is good. My dogs love the raw kangaroo meat (I feel a bit guilty buying that being our national emblem). They are sponsors of greyhound adoptions so that is one of the main reasons I like to use them.

Guest BlackandTan

I feed mostly beef. Cracker is now tolerating very small amounts of turkey and chicken. Other proteins include venison, bison, lamb, goat, rabbit and small amounts of duck. Your guys are gonna love you!

Should I get a live Rabbit so they can have fun :)

Organs seem to be very beneficial for them.... Where would I get them??

Should I get a live Rabbit so they can have fun :)

Organs seem to be very beneficial for them.... Where would I get them??

** sort of person are you to want to give a live rabbit to your dogs to kill on purpose. I know animals kill and eat each other, we kill animals to eat (well not me personally) but to suggest you give a live rabbit for them to have some fun is disgusting. You make me feel sick with your suggestion.