Just Checking On Protcall For Split Webbing

looked up split webbing in the index and from what i have gathered it's:

epsom's salts

betadine

keeping it clean

and time.

i quick washed annie's paw, she wasn't complaining, just licking- so i gave a look since she will chew a tiny scratch down to the bone. yes, the webbing is split- front paw, middle toes all the way. can't tell if there is also some black fungus which has happened to both of my other greys at the end of the summer(will call the vet). i'll know if it's dirt when i give it a better look in the daylight tomorrow morning.

but i muzzled her, rinsed it in clear water and applied triple antibiotic ointment. gently stuffed cotton between the good toes, a big wad of cotton behind the paw and gently bandaged it up past the ankle joint- then wrapped it in vet wrap.

did i miss anything??? tomorrow is epsom's salts and a better look. she had a great time as a wild dog running and barking this afternoon after the storm. don't you love the way these greys are always ripping something??? we need stocks in j&j!

looked up split webbing in the index and from what i have gathered it's:

epsom's salts

betadine

keeping it clean

and time.

If you add keep it dry & prevent her from running then you've got the recipe we used. Also amend that to lots & lots of time. We had to do leash walks only, even in our fenced yard to prevent Venus' from popping open & bleeding again. I'd allow 3-4 weeks for it to heal well enough for running. If you try too soon, like I did, you'll end up extending the healing time by another couple weeks.. It did heal well though without any infection or complications. She has no webbing between those toes but that doesn't seem to bother her at all.

Good luck.

thanks for your prompt responses. did talk to my vet- bandage changes every other day, clean w/ peroxide. he uses peroxide when he wants slow healing. it makes sense since it debress the cells from the outside and lets the inner cells form slowly. off to find more vet wrap over the week or so. it's funny how you seem to have tons of the stuff then...presto...it will be gone! yes, i was saving it for a rainy day.

i do want to share this w/ you- i have a roll of u.s.p. sterile absorbent cotton . i purchased it in a good drug store- it's the best! i loosely wrap the wound it in and there is tons of padding. i even put a strip of it near the top of the vet wrap so it doesn't rub the leg. well worth the $$ and it lasts.

• 2 weeks later...

update:

i was at brimfield, ma- antique shows selling and didn't get to post the good news of annie's fast healing.

thursday i dropped her off to be boarded, along w/ a bag of goods for possible banding but wednesday i noticed that things suddently had looked EXCELLENT, dryer healed skin just a tad redness inbetween her toes. that's one week and 3 days!!! i think a record for healing.

i did call my vet and basically he told me to wash it in peroxide and change the bandage every other day- and rewash w/ peroxide along w/ bandage changes. well, the little pimple(annie) would not keep a bandage on...no matter what...medical bootie, thera paw, traditional vet wrap, even a bandage that was attached w/ tape(under down the leg and back up the bandage as the pres. of our rescue group does w/ bandage changes). when the wound started to look good, i then washed it and dried it and powdered it w/ medicated foot powder and gave up on cleaning up shredded vet wrap. the medicated powder cut the itch of healing and seemed to speed the time up even more. thursday she went w/o bandage, limited activity...then just left it alone. a combo of drying it out, and letting it heal from the inside out- that's what the peroxide does seemed to work. just wanted to share this for the "torn webbing" gt files.