Funny Spots On Her Belly/rear End?

Guest grandmagrey

Guest grandmagrey

We just brought Snowy home Sunday, so of course I'm being a little bit of an overprotective mom. She came to us with fleas, but after a bath and some frontline they seem to have disappeared. She still has these marks on her belly and on her back legs, plus really red skin on her belly and on her "elbows".

7842274728_5051036732_z.jpg

Untitled by Katelyn Kaiser, on Flickr

Is this normal? Or does she need to be seen by a vet? She spent all of today sleeping, but I'm not sure if that's normal for her or not (she is 8).

The spots probably are remnants of the flea bites. (Some dogs are actually allergic to the bites, so they get some skin irritation that lingers even after the fleas are gone.) Just make sure Snowy doesn't chew or scratch the spots. Red skin on her elbows may be leftover from resting on her elbows on hard or rough surfaces. That should improve with you--and soft bedding. And sleeping all day is pure greyhound. (Actually, it's pretty good that she's relaxed enough with you to sleep so much. New dogs often don't sleep well at first.) But the usual joke is that greyhounds sleep about 20 hours a day.

A vet visit for the red spots isn't crucial. But you're going to want to schedule a well-doggie visit with your vet fairly soon. The vet can set you up with heartworm preventatives, and it's a good idea for the vet to see the dog while she's well so there'll be something to use for a comparison if she's under the weather.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest PiagetsMom

Yes, that looks like an irritation from the flea bites. My Mirage has a allergic reations to fleas, and if you see her chewing or scratching you might want to try some Benadryl, up to 1 mg Benadryl per lb, twice a day. But, start with 25mg until you see how she reacts to it.

Also, if you continue to see fleas after the Frontline, you might try Capstar. You can get it at your vet, or at PetSmart - it's a quick fix and it will kill any fleas on Snowy.

Guest grandmagrey

Thanks for reassuring me! Ive had lots and lots of dogs, but long haired (siberian husky, cocker, cocker/golden,) and never had fleas! Found live ones on Snowy the day she came home and used frontline right away. No more fleas! Just the skin irritation. Still learning all about her...and loving her more each minute! Gave her benadryl 25 mg the redness is a little better already.

Edited by grandmagrey

Is she from GAO?? Thats where we are from!

Welcome to the site!

Anyways.. My boy nelson has has zit like things on his butt ever since we got him and that was 5 months ago. WE told the vet and They didn't really seem concerned.

Have fun with your beautiful new hound!

Since she had fleas when you adopted her, do make sure to run a fecal on her when you take her in for her wellness check.

There is a good chance she may have tapeworms from the fleas.

Congratulations on your new girl!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest grandmagrey

Thanks again to everyone for the good wishes and advice. What a great bunch if people I've met since adopting our Snowy! Yes, Snowy is from GAO ! My daughter adopted A stars Beretta Now known as Teddi--as in Teddibear. We fell in love w the breed and when Snowy came back after 4 years in a home, we decided a senior girl would be perfect for our family. She is beautiful inside and out! Very few adjustment issues have come up. WE LOVE HER!

Since she had fleas when you adopted her, do make sure to run a fecal on her when you take her in for her wellness check.

There is a good chance she may have tapeworms from the fleas.

Congratulations on your new girl!

Fecal floats will not pick up tapes--need to look for segments in the stool. Personally, I would just de-worm using praziquantel.

Congrats on your new addition!

You could put a bit of traumeel cream on the bites if they get itchy.

And a visit to the vet for a 'wellness' checkup this week is a good idea!

And...we need more pictures of your Snowy!!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest grandmagrey

Hi again! These spots would drive me nuts if I let them. The weirdest thing...they come and go. Latest theory is a sensitivity or allergy to grass since they seem to come out after she spends time outdoors. I've been giving her a low dose benadryl and that seems to help. Also found a herbal "incredible skin spray" by Richards Organics that seems to soothe it. Snowy is eating well, playing, and adjusting to our home fantastically. Shes been w us just a week and has everyone who meets

her wrapped around her paw! She has her vet check next week and ive talked to him on the phone about this. Says hes seen lots if strange stuff w greys and their skin. Keeping my eye on this closely! Snowy and I appreciate everyones help