Urethra Discharge

Guest Jacks_Human

Guest Jacks_Human

Tonight I noticed Jack had some tan discharge from his penis. I wiped it off, and it was fairly thick.

That said, he does not appear uncomfortable (no licking, etc), and has been peeing normally, and the discharge didn't noticeably smell.

Is this worth taking him to the vet for?

Smegma. Normal in smallish quantities. Not normal in very large quantities.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest CharlEYp

It is normal, even with being neutered.

That's what our vet said too. As long as it stays a pale yellow and in small quantities. She said if it becomes brown / red or increases in thickness or quanity to bring him in because it could indicate an infection. Hope that helps. :)

If it seems copious, flushing with a chlorhexadine gluconate 0.2% w/v (available from most drug stores) once a day for two to three days should take care of it - if it does not, then a visit to the vet may be a good idea.

As previously mentioned, any indication of blood in the discharge merits a vet visit.

Pam

QC Canada