Dat Darn Dawg, Bunny !

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest Downtownhoundz

As many of you know, Bunny came to me as part of a duo. He was very bonded to his brother, Benjamin, who went to the bridge this past January. Benjamin was his anchor . After his brother passed we could still go outside for our "walkies", until he saw someone then he would turn around and head back home. It's getting more and more difficult to get him out the door, he has to scope the neighbor hood to make sure there isn't anyone outside, then we can go out. I also have a small fenced in back yard, same thing there. It's to the point now that I have to get his collar and leash to get him outside in the fenced in yard. he's terrified of people, kids especially. He does so love his liddle gurl, my 10 month old grand daughter, Sofia and will let her pet him.

I would love to take him for walkies again! Any suggestions?

Guest team_tonio

Poor boy... Is he food motivated? Maybe tasty delicious treats would distract him from what frightens him? Something really yummy like hot dogs or rotisserrie chicken? Good luck to you and bunny :)

Guest Downtownhoundz

Poor boy... Is he food motivated? Maybe tasty delicious treats would distract him from what frightens him? Something really yummy like hot dogs or rotisserrie chicken? Good luck to you and bunny :)

I wish he was,he's constantly on alert outside. He's quite content to stay on my bed with the fan blowing on him...what a life!

Any calm, gentle dog friends nearby that he could go for walks with?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Downtownhoundz

Any calm, gentle dog friends nearby that he could go for walks with?

None that I can find. I don't know why he started doing this....he's turning into Howard Hughes !!!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Some dogs just do not like it. Do you have another hound? I would make him go out back, but walks? If he hates it that much, maybe not . You could adopt another lol

Guest Downtownhoundz

Some dogs just do not like it. Do you have another hound? I would make him go out back, but walks? If he hates it that much, maybe not . You could adopt another lol

I would LOVE to get another houndie but right now, I lost my job and my daughter and little grand daughter live with me, so I'm spread thin! Bunny loves having me home with him though. He does like to walk at night when it's quiet and no one around, but I don't feel comfortable walking at night.

Contact your adoption group and see if they know of someone else with a grey in your area. Then arrange play dates and walks together. Sounds like he needs a buddy and if you can't adopt right now this might be a solution.

june

• 2 weeks later...
Guest iMrCrumbs

I agree with the play dates idea. I was amazed at how playful Greys become when they are around other Greys. I had heard about it but it took seeing it before I could appriciate it!

HOWEVER, Dillon does not like small, hyper dogs.. He doesn't attack or anything like that.. He just walks away from them and comes back to my side.. I don't blame him sometimes though :P

When we first got Lexie she was the same way. As we would walk out the door she had to scope around to see if anyone was coming..lol. I made her walk just up the street, then came home. I would increase after a week. I also made sure I was out there if the school bus came by or kids then gave her a treat. It will take awhile..even months but everyday just insist on walking. It does work. Lexie now loves the school bus and kids.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

I would first try to be sure there isn't anything medical going on. It does sound, however, as tho Bunny was terribly dependent upon Benjamin for his confidence and now that he is a solo act his insecurities are surfacing. After LadyBug died, her littermate brother Zeke-aroni fell into depression and it was only then that I realized how dependent upon her he was. Add in his lack of self-esteem and it was a rough road. Baby steps, in everything he did, were rewarded and eventually he blossomed, becoming his own man and carrying on. If adopting another dog is not possible, could you foster for your group? Bunny may simply need to be part of a two-pack to feel better. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.