2 Torn Pads.

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

Goldie and i went on nice little walk yesterday. Afterwords I found her limping and she refused to put any weight on her front Left Leg. Two of her pad and almost completely sepperated. They are still connected on 2 of four sides. But she is in real pain and I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?

i've experienced partial pads being ripped off and have treated them 2 different ways. the frist time i went to the vet, he trimmed it down and bandaged it, it took a week to heal. the other times i basically gave up on going to the vet since felix is always ripping part of his pads off, i just washed it well w/ saline solution and bandaged it for a week, it healed. if it's a deep straight cut into the pad, which your isn't it's a stitch and a week's healing- but you have to stitch it with in 24 hrs. a slice, which is what you have- the same duration. you can irrigate it, a glob of triple antibiotic ointment and bandage it.

a tight bandage can really be a problem, so.... be sure to put some cotton inbetween the toes so the nails don't irritate the foot. wrap lightly w/ gauze. as a rule of thumb i aways make sure i can stick my thickest finger into the banadge. vet wrap and if you have a roll of cotton(i have one from the drug store) somewhere inbetween the gauze,more gauze and vet wrap i gently wrap the cotton so it protects the thin skin of these greys. an old sock will do the same, then top w/ vet wrap. since the greys have such skinny legs you need to be careful and bandage well over the existing area, the bandages can slip right off. do bandage your dog standing, better fit.

most likely you will remove the bandage after one night, just out of curositiy. if the toes are swollen, the dressing was too tight. soak the paw in ice water, the swelling will go down. dry and dress the paw again, remember LOOSE!

Since she is in pain with it I would think about going to the E-Vet. If there was no pain with it then you might be able to let it heal on it's own, but given that there's pain, I'm thinking they may need to numb it and stitch it. Hopefully, someone who has been through this will post soon. You might put a call in to Marilyn at GPA Indy to see if the group has a reccommendation on an E-Vet over there.

We haven't had to deal with pad injuries, but pain is one of the indicators that I use to determine if we need to go to the vet or not. When the hound is obviously in pain, we err on the side of a vet visit.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

you really need to know your dog's tolerance to pain. my females apply for disability and workmen's comp as soon as they have a minor ding, the male...he keeps on going. when i slice a finger(which i do every time i sharpen a knife) it does throb for the first day, but it subsides. one of my 7th grade students just cut the tip of her finger w/ a sissor-(holding it wrong) and she was hysterical since it hurt her so much- the blood didn't help. pressure bandage by the nurse and the next day she was all smiles and learned how to use a scissor properly. pain is an individual thing, is the pad still bleeding??? most likely it has clotted and on it's way to healing. cleaniness is essential.

years ago i brought one of my salukis into the evet since his sliced pad(glass frozen into ice) would not stop bleeding. that's the only time i brought a dog to the evet for a pad injury.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest IndyHound

She's only in pain when she walks. Right now shes just happy to lay next to me and give me the doe eyes. But is resting comfortably. The pads aren't bleeding and the skin under them has begun to toughen up. One little spot is oozing but have been cleaning it in warm soapy water. She is my trooper she never lets on to pain (though this is the first big thing to happen to her. Beckett is the drama king in the house. Every little thing and he makes a noise that would make you think he's being bludgeoned to death.