Ripped Toe Nail

So we've had our first major "accident" with GiGi. Some how she managed to pull her toenail completely off. I've heard greyhounds are clutzes and I guess she's living up to that! I have no idea how it happened, one minute she's playing outside and the the next she's jumping on the couch I notice the pool of blood by her foot!

This happened last night and right now she's got her foot wrapped up and is giving me a dirty look from the couch!

We managed to get the bleeding to stop and winces she's young(only 3) the vet told us since it was a clean pull out and we cleaned it out goo, just to keep it wrapped up and watch it.

Welcome to the world of greyhound ownership! Lol

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

I'll trade you. Sailors dew claw got stuck on something while running and it yanked the whole toe and the toe, not the nail, is broken we suspect. Its been 2 weeks of painful hell for him. He also tore the webbing between 2 toes at the same time.

They are so athletic and graceful, how is it they are so accident prone?

Edited by Sambuca

Sambuca, oh wow the poor baby! That has to hurt, I think I'll take the missing toe nail! I always thought everyone was exaggerating when they said how accident prone greys were, I thought the same thing---they are so graceful how can they be that clutzy! Guess I was wrong :)

I hope Sailors feels better soon!

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

millie managed to pull her dew claw nail off shortly after i got her. blood everywhere. took her to the vet who pulled off the remaining bit of the quick & if i thought blood was bad before, it started pooling on the vet's floor. millie was stoic throughout. vet stopped the bleeding with a coagulant powder. few days later she gave the GSOD (greyhound scream of death) and started limping when she got a piece of kittynextdoor's dried poo stuck between her toes.

blue was the master of the GSOD. he'd go thru a barbed wire fence on the farm & come back smiling with a 2" tear in his side, but jumping off the couch and bumping his shin on the coffee table one thanksgiving family gathering called for a GSOD and severe limping until he was cuddled and petted for a few minutes, after which he went outside to play ball with the kids like nothing happened.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest AceyGrey

Ace has completely shredded his dew claw too during the chasing next door cats fiasco. Luckily it's not been ripped out but it doesn't look very nice.