Diana Isn't Eating

Diana has been known to go through spells when she doesn't eat well. When I've tried to "fatten her up" (she's a skinny thing), she'll eat the extra for a while then lay off it. I learned that I can't fatten her up - she's always going to be thin, and that's healthy for her. So I gave up on that.

She also lays off her food when it's too hot. We have A/C, but if it's a hot summer day... she won't eat one of her meals sometimes, I've also learned not to worry about that.

And - when she became an only dog - she got used to a lot of "extras" - dinner leftovers, etc. - put in her dinner - and she tried to go all "picky" about straight dogfood - and I put a quick end to that. That was quite a while ago.

For the last couple weeks - she isn't eating well. I've learned not to ge too excited for all the reasons above - and - I've started not wetting her food - letting it sit and she does eat one serving out of her normal 2 in per day. When it sits around wet she won't eat it.

Is she acting spoiled? Are the summer temps affecting her? Those were my initial thoughts. Now - she'll take any people food we're eating - happily. She isn't sick, no big-D, no lethargy, no visible worms.

Wait it out - or take her to the vet?

How old is Diana? Is this current 'spell' lasting longer than usual? Obviously there's something different about this particular episode that's making you concerned. Might be worth considering a vet visit and some bloodwork if just for your peace of mind.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Dragon

I have a girl that sometimes just stops liking the food she's been eating for quite a while. Like one day, she'll be like, ugh lamb flavor again?? No thanks. Have you tried a different flavor or brand?

Guest aowam

I've been fighting this battle with Gable ever since I got him (like...almost 5 months now) and it was very frustrating going through loads and loads of dog food "good" ones and "bad" ones. We literally have 5 different dog food bags sitting around. Like you, he'll go in cycles of eating, missing meals, not eating, getting human food, getting wet food, not getting human food to kill the spoiledness, eating some, but no matter what treats and human food is readily accepted. He just gets tired of EVERYTHING if he eats it longer than a week.

Now, he's actually eating. I'm trying to compromise with him. We got him in the habit of eating about half of the portion (started off by giving him only half the allotted amount before saying good boy and giving him the rest of the portion with good stuff) before he gets the goodstuff. THat way by "playing" with him it makes his food interesting. The goodstuff I've tried to keep consistent for the most part: breakfast is yogurt or cottage cheese, while dinner is mostly shredded cheese you buy in the bag, though sometimes randomly wet food. If he decides to not eat, then he doesn't get it after 15-20 minutes. I put it in a container where he can see if and leave it there.

I tried to just give him straight kibble with yogurt or cheese and he just was very disinterested after the first day. Maybe it was too easy? He likes having to work for it, I guess.

You're right, though: he's on the skinny side, but healthy. Someone else told me on here that some greyhounds like to self-regulate their weight, as well as eating less when it's hot. I'm not too concerned about it anymore, as dogs will never purposefully starve themself. Gable lasted at most 1 day and a half of trying to starve me out. If they did last 3 days then I'd get worried. My uncle's doberman did this for almost 2 weeks before he took him to the vet and it turned out that the doberman had swallowed a toy and it was blocking his digestive tract. I would NEVER wait that long.

Anyhooos, just my 2 cents. :) I hope it's nothing serious.

If she's dropping weight or condition due to her not eating - it is time to see a vet.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

If it's been 6 months since blood work, time to take her in.

I agree. My boy, Cruz, seemed to be getting pickier and picker about his food and then I read a thread someone had posted about renal disease and poor appetite and decided to take him in for labwork. Turns out he a bad UTI (with no symptoms at all) and has serious renal disease. I'm not saying this is the case with your girl, but it was something I didn't know anything about and I never suspected he had a UTI. Sending good thoughts for Diana. :hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I took her to the vet - she's fine. Nothing is wrong. And - she's only lost a couple pounds from her last visit.

Strangely enough - when we got a thunderstorm and the temp dropped dramatically - she ate like a starving child. It's the heat. I know - a lot of dogs live in much hotter temps, but we're cool-house flowers here. I did quit putting water on her food and now she picks at it all day long - and eats nearly a normal amount. She would NOT eat soggy food that sat around.

And - we got a new A/C window unit - and the house is cooler, and she seems better. We didn't get it for her especailly - but it does seem to help her.

I sympathize. I'm a bear if the temp gets over 80F.

I'm glad to hear she's okay. Sounds like you will all enjoy that new A/C window unit. :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Might also try a fan on her or around the area she eats in to move the air and she will think it's cooler :lol

That's not a bad idea! She eats in the kitchen, which is about as far away from the A/C unit as you can get. She hangs out in the livingroom with the A/C (as we all do) most of the time, so going into the kitchen to eat - she probably feels the temp change.

Luckily it's cooler now. I'll try the fan experiment near her food when it gets hot again. If nothing else- it'll be interesting.

Sierra is 12 and she is a very picky eater. She won't eat after a bad thunderstorm or if the other dogs huddle around her while she eats. I hold her dish while she eats to keep the other dogs from eating her meals. She eats very slow. I have just learned to be patient with her and we take about six times of sitting down holding her dish throughout the day so she gets her meals. I also llimit any table scraps as this does make my dogs want what your eating instead of their food.