Sitting On Sofa

Guest VinnyL

Guest VinnyL

Hi need some guidance again, Miami (BOY) went on our couch the other day we thought it was cute took a couple pics posted them, so a little later he was on again so I sat on the other end he dozed off I made a move he got startled (sleep aggression?) So he went back I moved again and the same so I got him off, so today I was upstairs came down his back on now me and my wife don't mind him up there but we also have to be able to sit now my question is if he's on there when we get home or come downstairs do we allow it and just move him when we enter or stop it all together, I don't want to confuse him and again we don't mind it .I was thinking it's OK just for us to claim the chair when we're home.thanks any advice would help

My dogs even understand "move over." They know that I own the furniture and they just have use privledges. Most of the time I'll sit on the floor rather than "disturb" them. But occassionally I will "claim" my seat and then they understand what moving over and making room means and quickly do it. But there is no question in their mind about who is in control of the furniture and everything else too for that matter.

I fostered Minny and he never once had any furniture issues before he left for his new home. Once there they returned him and said he took over the couch and would even bite people that tried to get him off of it. I don't doubt it. He was an extremely intelligent dog and no doubt quickly realized that the people in the new home were so stupid that he could run things. When he returned to me until the time he crossed over he NEVER once had a hint of possessiveness over the furntiture or anything. Quite simply he knew it wouldn't fly at my house. They are very smart and will take advantage if you let them sometimes.

Edited by racindog

He is new to your household, I assume? So he's working out what the boundaries are, and you need to decide what those are and be consistent about enforcing them. That way you will both be happy!

I'd say sharing the sofa with him is probably not a good idea at this early stage, especially if you think sleep startle is an issue. (You can always revisit that a few months on when you know each other better.) You also don't want him to get the idea that the sofa is just for him, and become possessive of it.

So if you do decide to allow him up, teach him an 'off!' command too. If he ever proves reluctant to get off, don't grab his collar - that's scary for him, so may provoke an untoward response. Snap a lead on first and say 'off' again, kindly but firmly. Tell him he's a good boy and maybe give him a treat when he does.

Doc's not allowed on the sofa when I'm around, because it's a small one and so there isn't room for both of us. He gets up on it while I am out, which is usually fine by me - on the rare occasions when it's not (eg when he'd hurt his back so wasn't meant to be jumping up) I put an upturned stool onto it when I go out.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest VinnyL

Thanks for your help, so if we allow him up there when we aren't home then we claim it when we arrive. We are learning how smart they are it seems like their children seeing how much they can manipulate their parents lol its been an experience to say the least ty

Guest VinnyL

Thanks for your help, so if we allow him up there when we aren't home then we claim it when we arrive. We are learning how smart they are it seems like their children seeing how much they can manipulate their parents lol its been an experience to say the least ty

Our basic rule is no furniture privileges until they understand that couch is YOURS and you are being nice by allowing it. (extends to the big bed too) If he's growling he needs to be on his dog bed. He may need a few more months before he can be trusted on the couch. A growl is a warning that may lead to a bite so you want to heed that warning that he is uncomfortable in that situation and prevent the negative experience for him.

Even my "I don't want to be touched while sleeping" Rainy will not growl while on the couch of big bed. Being up there means they accept the risk of being social while sleeping. I can ask them to move with a point and snap of a finger, poke prod and touch them all I want.

------

Jessica

He's quite new to the home so I'd let him up there but at the first growl he would have to get off so that he learns that the sofa is yours and he is allowed on it only if you allow him on it. Same with the bed, the first growl and mine are told to go to their beds. You get to decided when and if he gets on the furniture.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Wasserbuffel

I taught Jayne the "off" command by luring her on and off the sofa with treats. While she was on the sofa, I tossed the treat onto the floor, pointed at it, and said "off" as she was getting off to get the treat already. Eventually, I was able to get her to get off with just a point and the word, although I do still occasionally give her treats for responding to "off".

Remember when training a dog, you need to show them the expected behaviour. So use treats and the word "off" or whatever word you choose. Don't use his name though, save that for recall training when you want him to come to you.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Teaching off is one of the first commands I teach my dogs. Also, I don't let new dogs on the furniture until I feel they have adjusted to the new surroundings. Maybe your boy needs to wait and earn furniture privilages.

Guest kirstenbergren

I'd say that teaching him "off" is a great idea. That's what I would do if I had the same problem you do. I'd also make being on the furniture a privilege, something that is special. My dog doesn't even know how to jump up on any of the furniture, but if he did, I'd only let him up if I said it was okay. Good luck!