Pepto Long Term?

I almost think Sunshine is having acid reflux issues. I started giving her 1 petco twice a day and she hasn't gagged, spit up, or been unhungry in 2 weeks. Is there any harm with keeping her on this for a bit? She does take meds for anxiety/thyroid and also gets Kefir milk once a day as a probiotic...

------

Jessica

Pepto bismol contains salicylates (aspirin-like substances) so I wouldn't give it long term. Here is a list of its interactions: http://www.drugs-web.com/drugs/p/pepto-bismol.htm There are other meds the vet can give you that aren't expensive & may help (sucralfate, omeprazole). Are you sure the kefir is agreeing with her?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest twoskinnydogs

When Toby was on chemo they told me to limit pepto, but they can have pepcid everyday....and yes, the generic is fine, I actually used the Target brand of pepcid

I don't think the kefir is bothering her. If I give anything with dairy in it as a probiotic she gets gassy. The kefir if I understand correctly does not have lactoss in it. She was doing the gaggyness before we ever started the kefir.

She'a always gagged after drinking water and spit up a little after eating. Not really throwing up but rather a burp with content... lol I noticed after starting the pepto she hasn't been doing these things at all. First started the pepto after I went away for a week and the BF had her a little off sched with feeding and she was puking bile around 4pm every day. She was also stressed and kept running back and forth from the window all week at every car noise, so that could have upset her belly. The short term solution was to have him feed her breakfast every morning and that worked towards the end of the week.

I'll switch to Pepcid AC and talk to the vet if that continues to work for her.

Thanks so much for the info!!!!!

------

Jessica

We have had some great long term success with Slippery Elm. Natural and safe to give regularly.

If for some reason SE doesn't work, we always have Pepcid on hand to give him a little "boost".

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015