Hot Weather And Panting

With this heat in the northeast, we’re walking early in the morning and late in the evening. The walks are much shorter than when the temp is comfy. I also take Annie Bella out a few other times to the woods behind the house for an interim P&P opportunity.

I expect Annie Bella to come in panting, even on the short trip back to the woods for a quick pee, but she seems stressed long after we’ve returned and she’s stretched out on her bed in front of the fan. She eventually stops panting, but it takes quite a while. For more than an hour, though, her respiration stays fast and heavy. It’s so fast that I don’t know why she isn’t hyperventilating – apparently dogs don’t hyperventilate.

So I’m curious how quickly your dogs recover from being outside in this weather.

Mine recover pretty quickly in the air conditioning. If you're concerned, a cool cloth on the pads of her feet and on her belly will cool her down more quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Kip seems more sensitive to heat than Dune was, or any of the fosters I had. He takes longer to stop panting when it's even a little warm versus the winter.

Cool cloths on the belly seem smart. If you can get one, try a CoolBed. Ours was a lifesaver when Dune was old and couldn't regulate his body temp, but it also became Kip's fave after a run on a hot day. Most of the year he won't touch it, but when we're in New England during the summer, he lives on it. He's a temperate-only kind of hound.

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

Guest ronansmom

Both my boys (ages 10 and 3) take some time to cool down. I also recommend a wet cloth applied to the belly, chest and neck. That seems to give them relief.

Guest Jacks_Human

When my family and I lived in California, we gave the crushed ice (or let them lick ice pops). One of them also liked lying on a cool, damp towel (if you don't want to get the floor wet, just put the towel in the freezer for awhile, the cloth will get nice and cool). A quick swab of rubbing alcohol on their ears and paws is also good, and it evaporates faster (and won't cause potential ear issues).

Guest badderh

Rocky seems to take a while to cool down as well, but he knows that in front of our window ac is the place to go just for that. Generally my boyfriend and him will both go sit in front of the AC to cool down after a walk on a hot day since they both seem to over heat pretty easily. I call it their "bonding time" lol.

I also put a tray of ice cubes in his water after walks as well, and he seems to enjoy that.

I have no AC on the first floor of my house. What helped Annie last night was a cool hand towel laid on her side/belly as she was lying down. She didn't much like it but it helped a little. I then wrapped her paws in the same towel. She pulled them out and placed them on top of the towel, which had the same positive effect. Thankfully the humidity is much less today and the temp is in the 80s instead of 90s. We're both recuperating quicker from our walks: she from the general heat and me from the arthritis flare that this weather brings on. Makes me understand why people with inflammatory diseases live in dry places like Arizona.

We have central AC and Summer has her own wading pool so I don't need to worry when we're home. But after a greyhound run with our greyhound group, as we had this morning, I put something new on her. I used this "cool coat" from http://mustluvdogs.ca/. It's not just made of terrycloth and doesn't become a sauna. In fact, it's made of chamois. I was very impressed with it. We wet it, put it on her and she loved it. Her skin cooled right down, there was no heat buildup and it stayed wet (but not her fur, it and her skin were just nicely cool). I can't explain how it works but work it did. She is going to love wearing this coat in the Canada Day parade on July 1!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

We have central AC and Summer has her own wading pool so I don't need to worry when we're home. But after a greyhound run with our greyhound group, as we had this morning, I put something new on her. I used this "cool coat" from http://mustluvdogs.ca/. It's not just made of terrycloth and doesn't become a sauna. In fact, it's made of chamois. I was very impressed with it. We wet it, put it on her and she loved it. Her skin cooled right down, there was no heat buildup and it stayed wet (but not her fur, it and her skin were just nicely cool). I can't explain how it works but work it did. She is going to love wearing this coat in the Canada Day parade on July 1!

I've heard of another cooling pad (I think it was mentioned somewhere else in the forum) that doesn't require being wet. There's a substance inside that when compressed by the weight of a dog becomes cool. I was going to buy one a couple of weeks ago but no pet store in the area had one. I'll have to revisit this idea.

I keep a spray bottle filled with water in the fridge and spritz my guys frequently....heads and bellys.

Nixon loves it ..... Ruby and Nigel tolerate it :)

We also have several fans going all the time.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg