What Is It?

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest Downtownhoundz

My Bernard Louis, aka, Bunny has a weird thing going on on the rrots of his fur on his tail. It is black there and it looks like it has expanded. Doesn't seem to bother him any, but has anyone else seen this or know what it is? He doesn't have any fleas, so it's not flea dirt..

Try again on your photo, using a smaller image.

But does it look something like this?

2009-05-30_134229_stud_tail.jpg

And is it more-or-less in this location? If so, Google stud tail.

This site says it goes away after the dog is neutered. That hasn't been the case at my house. Sam was neutered about 10 years ago, and he's still got "the spot."

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Yup, sounds like Stud tail.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My males tails have the same thing and no it doesn't always go away. My boys have been this way for years.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Stud tail is also called Tail Gland Hyperplasia. I read where some people have had success treating it with Aloe Vera gel.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Downtownhoundz

Yep, I think that's what it is! He's seven years old, neutered and it's just now showing up ! He could care less about being a "stud" though...he's a mama's boy... :heart

Guest BlueCrab

Trixie's got it, too, so it's not only the boys. I read up on it here so knew what it was. DH didn't believe me and talked with the vet about it, whereupon the vet said "stud tail" and I said "SEE? I was right!" Someday he'll start to believe me when I tell him stuff.:wife

Edited by BlueCrab

Well that's interesting! Desi has that spot, too. It's spread some over the 2 years I've had him.

Another bit of trivia.....I was following a lady with her hound down the street at Mt.Hounds, and he had the same exact spot. I asked her about it, and she said

her vet told her it was a thyroid problem & the hound was now on thyroid pills twice a day. I thought that was strange, because the spot looked EXACTLY like

Desi's and his thyroid panel came back perfect.

Good to know what it really is!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

My stud does not have stud tail but my female does.

Kevin doesn't have one either. :gmark

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****