Yam Chews - Success!

After my disastrous first attempt at dehydrating yams, I was ready to sell the just-out-of-the-box dehydrator when I came upon this recipe. I learned what I did wrong (like, everything! -- DUH, you mean I'm supposed to cook them first?)

So, behold the beauteousness of the dehydrated yam:

They probably cooked in the dehydrator for about 12 hrs (I fell asleep for the 8-hr check) and came out perfectly -- the pack heartily approved. :thumbs-up It's more time consuming than opening a bag of Sam's Yams, but it's way cheaper!

BTW - instead of hand slicing the yams, get a mandolin -- it makes slicing SO much easier.

mandolin.jpg

Edited by greyhndz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest BlueCrab

Thanks for the update and info. I received a dehydrator for Christmas that I have yet to take out of the box, and a handful of yams from last year's garden that need to be used. Been planning to try to make my own version of Sam's Yams.

Guest BrianRke

I've been making these recently too. I slice them with the mandolin, blanch them for 4-5 min, then transfer to ice water for about 10 minutes. I fill up 5 trays in the dehydrator and it takes about 18 hours. Dogs love them!!

If you have a convection oven you can use that, too. I slice some sweet potatoes, lay them out on a rack over a sheet pan, and put them in a 300 degree convection oven for about 4 hours. Then turn off the oven and leave them in there overnight. And actually, they're pretty forgiving. Last weekend I didn't cook mine enough and they were still moist the next day. So I popped them back in the oven for a few more hours.... perfection!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Thanks for reporting back and sharing your tips for success. I think this recipe is enough to make me buy a dehydrator.

It was far cheaper than I'd expected. I bought this one for around $65.

Brian RKE, I haven't heard about icing the yams after blanching. Do you think this works better than cooking them before dehydrating?

dhr30.jpg

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg