Orijen = Peeing?

Guest aowam

Guest aowam

Recently switching over to Orijen fish and the pup has been exhibiting increased urination and drinking. Has anyone else experienced something like this here? I was doing some googling and it seems some other dog breeds have had similar issues. Even with all the other food switches he has been good about not needing to go oit except 3 times a day (right before orijen i swear he was trying to wean himself to 2 times) but suddenly its 5 times and then early morning too. This is the first jump to protein content higher than 30%. Any thoughts?

I'd switch to something else. Could be the salt content, could be another ingredient making him feel the need to drink more. Probably isn't the protein % .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

get him off of it ASAP! something is not agreeing w/ him and it might take a while to get out of his system. 24% protien, 13% fat is enough to keep skin and coat in good condition, one does not need rocket fuel. if his excessive drinking/urination continues (give it a while for what ever it is to get out of his system) then it's time for a medical investigation.

It could be the protein. Since it is higher than what you were feeding before it could be triggering a reaction from your dog to drink more to excrete the waste products from the protein in the urine. This happens to my dog when he gets more protein than he should - he drinks and pees more ...

It could also be a higher salt content in the food.

You might want to check his urine specific gravity (first catch urine) and the blood kidney values - they might be running on the borderline and if so, the extra protein might be a bit too much too handle.

Guest aowam

Thanks y'all. He very recently just got over a uti (it has been 2 weeks yesterday that the infection was pronounced gone) so I was very concerned it was another one. Peeing has been a little strainy just like with tht uti, but thankfully this morning he held it until walk time and it seeeeemed to be more normal. I've taken him off orijen and he is on innova right now. I'm going to continue monitoring. Another plus is that the extra energy (i like the rocket fuel comment) he seemed to have acquired from orijen has died down a little thank God.