Heard From Osu

Guest 4rooers

Guest 4rooers

OSU finally e-mailed my vet and offered to see Rourke and try another FNA. My vet isn't sure they'll get any better results than Tech did. With either prostate cancer or TCC we would just be buying time, neither has a long life expectancy, so I am thinking about using herbal treatment. Have been reading about the anti-cancer diet and essiac tea. Has anyone used this or have any info on it? Rourke is feeling better and is able to pee without help, still has incontinence at night, but he's eating well and doesn't seem to have any pain. He's on Rimadyl, and I am thinking about switching to piroxicam to see if it will shrink the mass.

No advice....just good thoughts....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Personally, if it's feasible I wouldn't hesitate to make the trip to Ohio State. There are soooo many talented veterinarians at OSU including of course Dr Couto.

Don't give up without a definitive diagnosis. Many of us have driven many many miles (myself included) so our hounds may be under their OSU's and Dr Couto's care. You will not be disappointed with the care you and your hound will receive there.

Guest twoskinnydogs

I had the same thing happen with Toby......OSU attempted a FNA using ultrasound, they had no luck. I trust them and allowed them to do a exploratory biopsy, they found out what it was......not what I wanted it to be but they figured it out! I was actually there with Tracy (tbhounds) back in Feb, it is well worth time to drive!

Have been reading about the anti-cancer diet and essiac tea. Has anyone used this or have any info on it?

Yes. We had our Charlie on this after his diagnosis of Osteo and amputation. He was also on a series of supplements as well as multiple herbal remedies and Maitake, **ake and Reishi mushrooms.

Good thoughts for Rourke and you. Dr. C's team at OSU can work miracles.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm glad to hear that Rourke is feeling well! I also can recommend the treatment at OSU.

I went back through my old records to see what drug(s) my cattle dog Ezra was getting for his prostate cancer, and it turns out that they didn't list the drug, just invoiced me for "chemotherapy injection" or "miscellaneous injection". I wish I could pass along what treatment he had, because he did extremely well on it with no side effects for over a year before the drugs stopped working.

Sending good wishes for both of you.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I'm glad to hear Rourke is feeling good. :kiss2

Just another plug for OSU - they are extraordinary & they don't give up. If you can get there, they'll do all they can for Rourke. I haven't been out there, but from hearing other peoples' experiences, they're also understanding about the time & effort it takes to get out there & see them. So you wouldn't have to be travelling back & forth - they would do everything in a day or two (if possible). And they'd consult with your vet once you returned home. If you have any questions about how the greyhound program works, just ask.

Best wishes for both of you whatever you decide. I hope you have lots more time with your special boy. :clover

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest snakes

no experience with essiac tea but we do use a blend of chinese herbs (dry) on fedX's food. My vet thinks that is the reason he si doing so well, i think it is part of the reason combined with his artemisin/curcumin regimen, but then we are battleing the different beast of OS.