California Natural Herring And Sweet Potato

Guest Amy_Bee

Guest Amy_Bee

When I found out Solid Gold had been recalled, I rushed out to find another food for Gretchen. Admittedly, I should have done some research first, but I was in a rush to get her something so she'd have dinner tonight. Gretchen has allergies to lamb, beef, chicken, and more. I don't think rice agrees with her either. She's been doing well on Solid Gold Wolf King (bison and salmon) for years, so I wanted to find her something similar. When I went to the store, most of the foods of course had ingredients she couldn't eat. I finally ended up buying a small bag of California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato. I came home and looked it up, and it gets good reviews but one of the review boards talks about a concern that this food doesn't have enough meat for dogs because it's only herring, which is largely water. Should I be concerned about this? I looked at Evo as well but if I remember correctly it was also only fish. I believe Dick Van Patten's brand might have a bison and salmon variant, but this store didn't carry that brand.

Not sure what the difference would from herring and any other protein source -- they can't be all water. :unsure Some sites want to see XXXX meal as the first ingredient. For example, you get more chicken with chicken meal as the first ingredient in comparison to the first ingredient being chicken as the meal has less water. It seems there's a debate and a counter debater for every ingredient in every food on some forum somewhere.

I would worry at all. Try it and if it doesn't work for your dog try something else. FWIW at least one variety of Natural Balance (Dick Van Patton's food) has been recalled from the Diamond plant in SC...but that doesn't mean all Natural Balance is bad. Poodle did well on it for several years. Rex did not do well on California Natural Chichen and rice, and he had no problems in general with either chicken or rice. Go figure.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg