Grooming Issues

Guest PiagetsMom

Guest PiagetsMom

Maya's my first grey that really doesn't enjoy being brushed/groomed. She's always been kind of antsy, and that's escalated over the months she's been here. So much so that I recently put her muzzle on her while I brush her.

My bridge girl, Piaget, was always a little sensitive, but I found she didn't mind the Kong Zoom Groom, which seems to be relatively gentle and works really well. I usually follow that up with horse hair mitt that Maya seems to be okay with, but it doesn't remove nearly the amount of hair using it by itself. It needs to be replaced, but unfortunately, I purchased the mitt online years ago, and can't remember where I got it from and I haven't been able to find another. If anyone knows where I could find one, could you point me in the right direction? :)

Anyone else have a pup that's sensitive to grooming, and if so, what do you use to brush/groom?

Edited by PiagetsMom

Guest Vers

Stella was a bit sensitive about grooming, though she's gotten much better (ask me about doing her nails when she first came home sometime :crazy ) She happily runs to the deck when I want to groom her now, and does not shy away. I use a horse's shedding blade from the feed store -- if you have one near you, you can probably get the mitt there as well. I like the blade because it does get the loose underhairs without being too harsh like a Furminator -- it only takes a light touch for greys' short coats. I keep sessions short, and treat afterwards.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

My broodie is blowing her farm coat. I use a rubber oval shaped blue thing on her, and if I brush to hard, she glares at me. I go gentle. Then I wipe off the extra hair, and make her shine, with a chamois (spelling??? That thing you dry a car with? lol). It works great and really makes them gleam, and it certainly doesn't hurt.

Guest PiagetsMom

I use a horse's shedding blade from the feed store -- if you have one near you, you can probably get the mitt there as well. I like the blade because it does get the loose underhairs without being too harsh like a Furminator -- it only takes a light touch for greys' short coats. I keep sessions short, and treat afterwards.

I've seen this mentioned frequently. I go very gently with the Zoom Groom, and it has the softer rubber teeth. I guess I have a hard time thinking she would be more tolerant of something like a shedding blade, but :dunno

I get their food at a local feed store - I've never seen any horse hair mitts, though.

I use a horse's shedding blade from the feed store -- if you have one near you, you can probably get the mitt there as well. I like the blade because it does get the loose underhairs without being too harsh like a Furminator -- it only takes a light touch for greys' short coats. I keep sessions short, and treat afterwards.

I've seen this mentioned frequently. I go very gently with the Zoom Groom, and it has the softer rubber teeth. I guess I have a hard time thinking she would be more tolerant of something like a shedding blade, but :dunno

I get their food at a local feed store - I've never seen any horse hair mitts, though.

A quick google search turned up a couple of different types. One is even for dogs :)

http://facercise.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=2

http://hppets.com/shopsite_sc/product5.html

I use a rubber curry that used to belong to my horses on George. He's not a huge fan, but he's not a huge fan of anything that's not his idea!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Joseph mostly does not like to be brushed. He likes to be petted, tho. You can get a lot of loose hair and dandruff off with just fingers. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.