New Grey -- Frantic Obsession With Mirrors

Guest Vers

Guest Vers

A friend of mine just adopted a new greyhound, an adult female described as smart and outgoing. She is in need of some experienced advice to help with a rather unique issue.The first night home, the hound discovered mirrors and became completely, over the top obsessed with them, even finding the ones well above her eye level. She has climbed onto counters and jumped up walls (dragging her nails on the wall on the way back down) to look into them. The owner has tried covering the mirrors and closing the doors to the bathrooms to make those mirrors inaccessible -- the dog jumps frantically against the closed doors (doing more nail damage to the wood) and continues to anxiously race through the house between the now-covered mirrors. My friend can remove the wall mirrors, but not the larger bathroom mirrors that are built into the wall (and which are fairly useful).

It seems like this hound's anxiety at being in a new home has fixated extremely strongly. How can my friend best work through this to ease the dog's stress and prevent her from hurting herself and avoid further damage to the walls and woodwork? This isn't something I've had to deal with, so I'm at a loss for suggestions beyond longer walks to tire her, teaching "leave it" and redirecting/distracting her with toys or food (though her interest is very low when these are offered) and generally trying to reduce the dog's anxiety level. Adding a second hound is not an option at present.

Ideas to help them?

Cover the mirrors that would be dangerous/damaging to get at and find/buy one or two that she can safely examine to her heart's content. Put it down at her level so she can nose it, see there's nothing behind it, etc. She'll learn that it's just an oddity of home life but it does take some dogs awhile.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Vers

Her own sturdy mirrors at floor level are a genius idea -- thank you!

All of the mirrors are already covered. It's amazing that this hound still tries frantically to get to them, even the ones behind closed doors. That's what elevates this to "obsession" to me. I have a hunch that this hound has above average intelligence... and hopefully isn't always so compulsive.

Ideas still welcome, but this girl will get her own mirrors as the next step!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Once she is used to it, she'll probably quit. I had a foster that did the same thing. I brought him home literally 45 minutes after his last race (the last race of the night, and we'd been partying all night and I was exhausted) and I come home and try to go to bed and this dog is freaking leaping onto my bathroom counter trying to get into the mirror! It was a long night :eek But he did quit in a couple days, and his new owner never reported any issues. He is a very intelligent boy!

I agree with giving her a "safe" mirror to explore. Only one. cover all others. The bigger issue is - the grey is stressed at being in a new home. She's just obsessing over a thing as a symbol of that stress. They need to work at getting her calmed, and acclimated. New greys can be tough, and can fixate. Lots of attention - LOTS AND LOTS of walks will help. Don't leave her alone for a couple days, then work on separation training. Sounds like this dog is PRIME for separation anxiety - a way bigger issue than mirror fixation - if not dealt with properly.

Mirrors are the issue today - but this might be a dog trying to go out a window if she dosn't get settled. And that CAN be done. Lots of acclimation training right now is absolutely crucial. This is a dog that might destroy the house if they go to work tomorrow.

Do they crate? That may be helpful if the dog likes it. Sometimes an open crate is a great thing for a stressed dog. Your friends need to get as much advice as they can - right away.

This is a situation where a great dog could be returned because it wasn't properly acclimated - and that's not always easy to do.

Good grief it sounds like Tootsie. Her idea was to escape thru the mirror or just go somewhere else. She left the windows alone because I think she was smart enough to know it wasn't where she wanted to go.

Any thunderstorms when this first started?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Hi had this exact issue with kass when I brought her home in February (and posted about it on the GRA board). I took down the wall mirrors in my room (where her bed was initially) and closed the doors to our bathrooms and other rooms. She would look at herself in the reflection in the fridge sometimes and in reflections in cars. She seemed to really believe it was another dog, and used it as her "safety". After about a month, she's settled in a bit more and wants to be with people, I've put the mirrors back up. She was interested when she saw her reflections again, and wags her tail still, but isn't obsessive about it.

So, I guess what I'm saying is I'd limit her exposure to the mirrors for a bit.. until she can trust her new environment a little more.. then slowly start re-introducing them. She'll realize that it's not another do soon enough and tire of them!

Guest Vers

sobesmom, thank you. You're right, it is clearly stress from being in a home. The owner is gathering help from all possible reliable sources, which is how I and hence GT got drafted among others. You share a concern of mine, which is that this grey does fixate when anxious, but we think the situation is workable. The hound will have her own mirror and either a DAP diffuser or Rescue Remedy very shortly. She's not fond of the crate, but won't be alone for long until progress is made. Think good thoughts, please --

Diane, thank you -- no, no thunderstorms where they are. The astute guess from a couple of folks is that the new grey can smell the previous grey (passed a few weeks ago, breaking a lot of hearts) and thinks she's seeing the other hound in the mirror, since she can smell her. Her obsession is hyper playful excitement rather than aggression at the dog in the mirror.

Chilli, thank you for the success story -- glad your girl got over her obsession!

I honestly wouldn't stress over it so or overanalyze. Look at it from the dog's point of view -- she thought she saw another dog (or three :lol) . Where did it go????! Of course she wants to find it. Who wouldn't? And then somebody shut the door so she couldn't go see for herself! Enough to drive anydog nuts ..... :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

sobesmom, thank you. You're right, it is clearly stress from being in a home. The owner is gathering help from all possible reliable sources, which is how I and hence GT got drafted among others. You share a concern of mine, which is that this grey does fixate when anxious, but we think the situation is workable. The hound will have her own mirror and either a DAP diffuser or Rescue Remedy very shortly. She's not fond of the crate, but won't be alone for long until progress is made. Think good thoughts, please --

breaking a lot of hearts) and thinks she's seeing the other hound in the mirror, since she can smell her. Her obsession is hyper playful excitement

Diane, thank you -- no, no thunderstorms where they are. The astute guess from a couple of folks is that the new grey can smell the previous grey (passed a few weeks ago, rather than aggression at the dog in the mirror.

Chilli, thank you for the success story -- glad your girl got over her obsession!

If the dog doesn't crate for reassuance - please don't forcibly crate her. Sounds like your friends are doing a great job reaching out for help. I'll bet they'll get through this and in a week we'll hear a success story.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Nonnie did the same thing for a few nights when he came home... He was a pretty scared boy, bless his heart... But, in his case and maybe your friend's dog as well, it wasn't an obsession with the mirrors, per se, rather he was looking for an escape route and the mirrors appeared to be a "way out" at night. He tried to climb on my dresser, and tried to get into my big curio cabinet. Once he figured out we didn't bring him home to do horrible things to him, he stopped.

Guest zombrie

Yup, Minerva was obsessed with mirrors for about 2 weeks when I got her. I put one on the floor and she eventually didn't care anymore

Edited by zombrie

Guest BrianRke

This is Diamond the first day I brought her home 3 years ago. She was obsessed with mirrors!!! It lasted about 3 days then she didnt pay any attention to them.

P5070014.jpg

Guest KennelMom

Cover the mirrors that would be dangerous/damaging to get at and find/buy one or two that she can safely examine to her heart's content. Put it down at her level so she can nose it, see there's nothing behind it, etc. She'll learn that it's just an oddity of home life but it does take some dogs awhile.

:nod good, sensible advice. I've found it usually passes very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

When I got Greta she wanted to fight every dog she saw--including the one in the side of a shiny black car parked at the curb! Luckily, she realized it wasn't real before I had to tackle her to stop her from leaping on her own reflection. Sometimes it seems like they will never get used to some things, but most do with time and training and patience. Best of luck!

Edited by JaneW