Happy Birthday At The Bridge, Phantom!

schultzlc

I thought it was time to create a post to remember my first greyhound, Phantom. Since today would have been his 21st Birthday, it seemed like the appropriate time.

Phantom came into my family when I was in 7th grade, I had finally proven to my folks that we needed a dog. We went to a Pet Expo in Oshkosh, WI one weekend, and there we met RGA, Phantom's adoption group. I will always remember how they gathered the hounds into a circle and they all rooed together. There was one dog in the group that stood out, he was off being goofy and doing his own thing; that was Phantom. The group was great, we met a few other available dogs, but Phantom was still our favorite. He was nearly 8 years old and had been bounced from his previous home due to time constraints, and he was the perfect addition to our family. My mom needed convincing though, especially the first day he came home with us and stretched his giraffe neck to the middle of the kitchen table to steal some food :lol . I quickly learned that he could sit, shake, speak and roll-over on command! His first family had spent a lot of time to train him, although he was still the biggest mooch I have ever met!

As soon as he came home, he created a pecking order. My dad was his favorite person in the whole world and became his instant alpha. My mom was a close second, and he'd always listen to her. He decided that he and I were on equal ground, so when we were home together, he'd have no qualms over jumping up on the furniture (something he had obviously been trained against in his previous home). My older brother ended up on the bottom. Phantom would go into his room and knock over his CDs and video games, lay in his clean laundry, and steal his sandwiches.

Phantom was the sweetest, goofiest boy I have ever known. He was the perfect introdution into the world of greyhounds, and I still miss him every day, even though he's been gone for 7.5 years. He was the perfect companion, and lived until I was a freshman in college and his body could no longer carry him, even though his spirit was just as bright as ever. Phantom, you will always have a huge place in my heart! Happy Birthday!!

Here's Phantom and a very young me. He had fantastic ears, one always straight up, and the other folded down.

photophantomwithlaura3.jpg

Here he is during his last summer with us. As I packed to go away to college, he snoozed away wrapped up in my bed.

LazyDog.jpg

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Phantom Happy 21st Bridge Birthday to you. My bridge girl Margo was 21 on May 1st maybe you went to her birthday party.

Hugs to both of you & I know you will always be remembered

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

Phantom Happy 21st Bridge Birthday to you. My bridge girl Margo was 21 on May 1st maybe you went to her birthday party.

Hugs to both of you & I know you will always be remembered

I betcha they had a big old party (especially now that they're both of legal age...) :cheers Happy Birthday at the Bridge to Margo as well!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

What a handsome boy :wub: .

Rest well, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.