Large Brown Tick

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

I pulled a tick off of Beckett today. It was approximately the size of a grain of rice. My main questions are these. One is there a risk to his health? How can I prevent them from attaching to him in the first place. And where should i look for more on him? This is the first time that I've ever found a tick on any pet of mine. And am slightly worried. Thanks in advance for your help.

Guest serenc

There is tick and flea and mosquito prevention, such as frontline (other brands too) that help to repel and prevent the ticks from biting/attaching.

When the tick bites, the repellent will likely kill them.

If a tick latches on and goes unnoticed, they can cause lyme disease.

For future, if this happens again, make sure to get ALL of the tick when you pull it out. Sometimes when they bite/latch on and you think you pull them off, the head/"teeth" of the tick can still stay in the dog and cause problems.

Ticks also love to hide out in warm places. In humans they like crevices like armpits, waistbands in pants, underwear etc. So check the ears, leg pits and between the toes. anywhere they can hide and stay warm.

Maybe look into the preventative (just an liquid type thing you put on them once a month) and get a flea comb. the teeth of the comb are close together so when you go over the dog, it will likely help you find one/see one better. When you check the dog, brush/pet the hair the opposite way it grows so that you can see them under the fur.

Hope this helps!

I live in IL and we have a house in WI...so ticks are not uncommon there :huh All my dogs have had one or multiple on them at least once and have been fine because we got them in plenty of time:) Don't worry to much!

Edited to add - I heard this will be a summer that brings out a lot of ticks because we had such a mild winter. So check regularly if theyve been in brush, long grass etc :))

Edited by serenc

Ticks are bad this year all over. We use Frontline and rarely find any on Rocket. When we have found one, they are small and blend in so well that you may not see them until they have bitten and swollen up. To remove them I use the Tick Key which makes short work of the removal and gets all of the tick. We keep one in the travel bag and one in the kitchen drawer so we know where it is.

They are available tough Amazon, EBay and probably through some of the vendors or groups on GT, but I don't know of one specifically who sells them.

There are several other tick removal devices on the market. Most are designed to remove the whole tick. I know that this one works, but have not tried the others.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest lfreem2

What a ridiculously simple tool that seems to make an easy job of a pesky job! I've never seen that before! Thanks for this!

What a ridiculously simple tool that seems to make an easy job of a pesky job! I've never seen that before! Thanks for this!

It's so simple that they are probably making millions of $$$$ with it. I used it once when I saw a tick on Rocket, to this day I don't know if I removed a tick or a skin tag, but either way it worked, Pretty sure it was a tick since he didn't flinch when I did it. Although you can put it on your key ring, I find it too sharp to do so since i carry the keys in my pants pocket.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Frontline does NOT repel ticks. Nor does Frontline Plus. It will kill them after they've started sucking on your dog's blood.The only topical that DOES repel ticks is K9 Advantix. Preventic collars also repel ticks, and are safe to use on MOST dogs, greyhounds included.

The worst thing that will happen if part of the tick's head stays in the dog is that what amounts to a pimple will appear. It's not a big deal.

Not all ticks carry Lyme, but there are several other tick borne diseases--try not to freak out though. There isn't a thing you can do at this point other than work on prevention!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I use the preventic collars for the dogs. I need something for me! Ticks are bad this year. I have been finding one or two on me each week. (I live in the woods and have farm animals )

A tick the size of a grain of rice is a small tick. It was probably not on him for very long. An engorged tick can easily grow to the size of a raisin, and even as large as a grape! Sounds like you have no need to worry about that one tick. Try the collars... They work!