First Accidents...

Guest thecoyotesgrin

Guest thecoyotesgrin

So. I know there have been other posts of a similar nature, but since I have kept him on his usual schedule I was just curious if anyone has advice how to figure out his 'petulant child' phase.

And no, I am not jumping to conclusions. This is a tried and true identified phase.

It is not just when I am missing. If I do not have at least fifty percent of my attention on him he will piddle (more like flood the carpet like a racehorse) without warning. He does not lift or squat, just sorta lets loose.

The first real accident (i have thusfar caught him getting this pee-look on his face) I had was just before I took him out for the night I took a (literally) two minute shower. He follows me (again, literally) everywhere. I did not close him into the bathroom. I did not call him into the bathroom. He simply follows me into the bathroom and sticks his head into the shower... I put my head back to rinse the shampoo out and upon opening my eyes i see the pee-face. I am not even at the potty time (tonight was early for his potty, but he couldnt know that!) and im facing soiled bathroom mats and towels that were on the floor.

Then today I had to run out into the hall to help one of my students unlock their door. This is after morning potty (which, btw, he stops before he seems like he is really done peeing - and often once he pees, he wont poop because he is so distracted by the good boys i give him for potties outside no matter what happened inside). After morning potty where he peed and was given ample opportunity to poop... I am greeted walking in with poop in the center of my living room.

Then there are the times where randomly in the middle of the day - after free access of walks and potty breaks, if I am cleaning or doing applications for a job he gets up and wanders and then turns so that he is facing me, lowers his head and gets pee-face all set until i pay attention - but when i take him out theres no resultant pee....or poop....

I think in my attempt to make sure he only pottied outside, he started to learn that he could get my attention by peeing inside lmfao....

help?

It sounds like you may be able to solve at least some of your problems by not bringing him back in until YOU feel he is sufficiently empty. He doesn't get brought back inside until he has peed several times (if he is a marker like my boy) and has pooped. He shouldn't get distracted by your praise to the point that he doesn't do anything else. You praise him, give him a reward, and then it's back to walking. Unless he's in your backyard, then I could see how a dog would forget what he's doing. If he will potty on leash I'd honestly be walking him for his morning and evening breaks. After you praise him you go back to walking in which case he has no need to be distracted anymore and if he's a marker then smelling all the pee mail will definitely encourage him to empty out.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Wasserbuffel

I agree, keep him outside until he's empty.

When it's windy, cold, or otherwise unpleasant outside, Jayne will try to get back inside without doing all of her business. I have to watch her to make sure, or she'll occasionally have an accident.

Guest thecoyotesgrin

Im attempting a bunch of new things - staying out for an extra long walk is one (hard, though, on a sprained foot though I may be) is certainly a good plan as I am trying to get back on my feet for certain!

Sorry, but I think that's a medical issue.

My dog has done the same thing on more than one occasion--as if he simply CANNOT control his bladder. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, look out!

I do not believe dogs pee out of spite or anger, an my dog has a history of a mysterious bladder issue AND nerve issues relating to a spinal condition. I'd take him to the vet if he were mine. At a minimum, for a urinalysis and routine blood work. Trust me. A medical problem is usually far easier to fix than a behavioral one.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Either he's not completely potty trained, or there's a medical issue. I am definitely curious when he was last seen by a vet and what tests were run, if any. Also, what is his water consumption like?

If medical is ruled out, then it's house training. There are two steps to potty-training: Teaching them to potty outside, and teaching a signal that they can use to let you know when they need to go out. I find people often forget the second part, or just skip it because greys having lived in a kennel environment where they are turned out routinely are pretty adept at adjusting to a new "turnout" schedule. But he should have a way, other than "pee face" to let you know he needs to go out (standing at the door, whining, barking, etc.). So pick something obvious and every time he does it (even if you think he doesn't need to go) take him outside and tell him to "go potty" or whatever cue he may know. When he goes, praise effusively and reward with treats, then go back inside. Repeat until he's figured out that that's the signal when he needs to go. Then don't ignore it. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I agree with Susan and would never assume a behavioral cause for something like this without a medical workup.

And some dogs never learn to ask to go out, apparently. We have one of those.

ETA: Agree with Jen too, now that I see her post. (We had trouble training the one dog of whom I spoke, because he was too anxious to learn much of anything for a while. But he would just do whatever the other, very well-trained dog did, and that prevented most problems.)

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest BrianRke

Sorry, but I think that's a medical issue.

My dog has done the same thing on more than one occasion--as if he simply CANNOT control his bladder. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, look out!

I do not believe dogs pee out of spite or anger, an my dog has a history of a mysterious bladder issue AND nerve issues relating to a spinal condition. I'd take him to the vet if he were mine. At a minimum, for a urinalysis and routine blood work. Trust me. A medical problem is usually far easier to fix than a behavioral one.

I have to agree with this...

Guest thecoyotesgrin

I thought that Bladder infections came with bloody/cloudy urine as well as a difficulty peeing?

He has no strain/difficulty/exposed pain when he pees. His urine looks healthy (ive seen pet bladder infection pee before).

He doesnt pee more frequently - and again, part of it is pooping as well.

But I have not, in fact, tried giving him or making him a signal. It has pretty much been whenever he gets up and anxious... I will definitely have to work on that. As far as doctor visits, he had one a few weeks ago - maybe a month ago now... is that too long?

I thought that Bladder infections came with bloody/cloudy urine as well as a difficulty peeing?

Nope, UTIs can be accompanied by a variety of symptoms, but excess water consumption and urination, or accidents in the house are common ones. I would say that since this is a new behavior, a vet visit is definitely warranted. He may not even need an exam, just a urine sample for urinalysis and culture. Best to have them do a sterile draw, but you can also take in a sample - use a clean (ie. brand new or just went through the dishwasher) container and catch the urine mid-stream. Take it right to the vet, or refrigerate briefly until you can, but the fresher the better.

As for the poop, sometimes if dogs have an urgent need to do one thing, they'll also do the other. Or it may just be that was a separate isolated incident because he hadn't pooped outside when he needed to.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Belly bands can be your friend. Of course, you might have to put adult diaper pads in them if he pees a lot at one time. Good luck - I know this can be very frustrating.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

But you can't leave belly bands, with or without pads, on them all day or even most of a 24-hour period. We use them only overnight for our leaky dog, or if we're both going to be away for more than a few hours.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).