Night Owl

Guest djenkins99

Guest djenkins99

We've had our 4-year-old male since January. He's been good until the past few weeks, when he's decided that it's play time at 3 am. When he first did this I assumed he needed to relieve himself, so I got out of bed and walked him around the block. He didn't seem all that desperate to pee, but was really interested in the bunnies that we seem to have a bumper crop of this spring and that are all over. After taking him around the block he'd settle down until I took him for his regular hour-long walk at between 5-5:30 am. The past few days I've tried letting him whine & bark, and telling him to shoosh and go back to bed, hoping he'd get tired and go back to sleep. This morning after an hour of his barking I finally got results by yelling and at him (this is what happens when you don't get much sleep for a week). I really doubt he needs to relieve himself at that hour, since someone makes sure to walk him at 10 pm or later before going to bed, and he's gone 12 hours between walks without an accident. He sleeps during the day, a luxury I cannot afford.

Any ideas why after 3+ months of sleeping peacefully all night he's now decided that 3 am is a fun time to play and go out bunny watching (and what to do about it)? What sort of schedule do these dogs have at the track?

Guest ndgrey

Hi djenkins! I'd love to hear what anyone has to say about this as well, because we're finding ourselves in the same situation! We adopted our 4 year old in January and up until now overnights have been smooth sailing, but now he gets up at 2 or 3 and wants to roam the apartment, nose whine at us, etc when we know he doesn't need to go outside.

We recently stopped babygating our room at night and I know we could just put it back, but seriously what gives?

I hope this doesn't seem like a highjack, I'm just super interested in answers too! : )

I have the same problem! I adopted Rocky a little over 2 months ago, and for the first two months he slept through the night perfectly every night. Starting two weeks ago, he starting barking to get up between 3-4a. Like above, when he first did it I assumed he needed to go out. After a few days in a row of this, I decided to ignore him, which resulted in him peeing in his crate. So now I get up every time, but now he's getting up between 2-3 AND AGAIN between 5-6 (normal bedtime is 10 and wake up is 6:30.

I don't know what his deal is, but half the time that I get up with him he just wants fed or attention and has little to no interest in going outside. When he peed in his crate I swear it was out of spite (even though I know dogs aren't supposed to have emotions and intentions like that). I haven't had a solid night's sleep in 3 weeks.

~Amanda

He's more comfortable with you, and the first few times he tried it, it worked!

If ever in doubt about "I wanna play" versus "I have to pee," take him out on a leash to a designated pee spot. Don't speak to him. Don't pet him. Don't play with him. Give him a couple of minutes, and take him inside, go back to bed.

If he has to pee, he will. If he doesn't, he will quickly realize how boring the "game" has become and hopefully give up.

That combined with "go lie down!" in a stern tone are both things I had to do myself!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest djenkins99

He's more comfortable with you, and the first few times he tried it, it worked!

If ever in doubt about "I wanna play" versus "I have to pee," take him out on a leash to a designated pee spot. Don't speak to him. Don't pet him. Don't play with him. Give him a couple of minutes, and take him inside, go back to bed.

If he has to pee, he will. If he doesn't, he will quickly realize how boring the "game" has become and hopefully give up.

That combined with "go lie down!" in a stern tone are both things I had to do myself!

Thanks! I will try that next time he wakes me up at 3 (which I hope isn't anytime soon).

It's kinda like kids: Don't make a big deal out of it. Don't talk. Don't make it pleasant. Don't ask in a sweet voice, "What's the matter with my baby?" The more attention your "baby" gets (whether human or dog) the more s/he's learning it's a good thing to wake up at 2 AM!

BTW, if yelling works, go for it! Maybe not the nicest thing but ya know what? Being woke up for no reason isn't nice either. :lol

A good walk before bedtime? A tired dog is a good dog. This always helps with my fosters.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

sounds like a real high energy dog who may need more than a walk to tucker him out.4 ain't so young! exhaust him, take him to a fenced in school yard or something and really get him going! not a couple of zoomies and that's it...a good hard run exhausted. then off to bed. for some dogs a walk just won't do it unless it's a 4 mile walk...around the block sounds like it won't cut it. also mental exhaustion works well in conjunction w/ the physical. i know when my dogs get home from obedience classes they eat and konk out for at least a day!

Guest DragonflyDM

sounds like a real high energy dog who may need more than a walk to tucker him out.4 ain't so young! exhaust him, take him to a fenced in school yard or something and really get him going! not a couple of zoomies and that's it...a good hard run exhausted. then off to bed. for some dogs a walk just won't do it unless it's a 4 mile walk...around the block sounds like it won't cut it. also mental exhaustion works well in conjunction w/ the physical. i know when my dogs get home from obedience classes they eat and konk out for at least a day!

This is my suggestion too. Burn all that energy before bed.. who knows..might even get a better sleep yourself!!

opps, meant "4 ain't so old". many greys don't settle until well into their 5th year. if they are high energy dogs they stay young for a looooong time!

do you ride a bike? i takes time, but you might consider teaching your dog how to pace, on lead of course, next to you. it's a slow speed, your dog will be at a constant trot/pace right next to you.i happen to live at 2 dead ends and just use the low traffic streets near me, it's boering but gets them tired. but it's good for their self control and the relationship between both of you. they need to carefully watch you and feel the leash at all times. turns can be tricky, but i do a lot of obedience work w/ my dogs and pacing next to a moving bike fits right in. don't attempt this if your dog pulls!