Getting Dog Up For Last Turnout

Guest itsagreytlife

However, assuming Selah eats the Z/D for her meals willingly, I can't imagine a grey that won't get up for food even if it's not an exciting treat. Beth is very conditioned to the sound of a spoon clanking on her metal bowl as I put the yogurt in -- she can be in a dead sleep but will be trotting into the kitchen within ten seconds when she hears it ... I'm sure if I were giving her an extra treat of kibble rather than the yogurt, it would still work if I did it that way -- but not necessarily if I were just waving a handful of kibble in front of her as she lay on the bed. So in other words, let her hear that she's getting an additional feeding; feed her a bit less earlier on if that helps.

Getting up for food: Raising my hand here -- or Anna Bella's paws. My girl is so NOT food motivated that she falls into the category of not getting up for food. I can wave something under her nose and slowly walk away and she looks at it, at me, and puts her head back down. She will turn down food held in my hand if she wants it on the floor. ::shrug:: She often doesn't get treats because I won't play her game.

Have to agree with George here...just becasue she yelps, does not mean she's hurting.

Nixon is a Drama King, and will yelp over nothing.

Our Ruby also tends to reist going out for last potty.

I'm sure she'd never go out at all, except for the boys are always willing and she will usually tag along with them.

However, if its cold or wet out, I often have to physically shove her butt out the door.

So...Leash your girl up and make her get up and go out.

No treats until she's done her business an back inside. Use the best treats you've got.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest itsagreytlife

All very good suggestions (and funny stories/pics). I do not think she is hurting when she yelps since she can be a bit of a drama queen--(you are SO right GeorgeofNE!)--but of course I do not want to do anything hurtful to my precious girl. She's been with us 9 months now (wow!), and I think early on she was anxious to please and all that. And then later I was able to give her delicious enticements (not anymore). I take this laziness as a sign she has decided to stay :lol. I think working on the training thing is viable & makes sense. I train her a bit every day, so I could add this to the mix. But what I know will definitely work is Praire Prof's idea of a small additional "meal." That's absolutely genius, actually. Don't know why I didn't think of it ;). She will most definitely come running when she hears me "prepare" her another meal. And yes, the Z/D has been "zapped" in the lab so it does not really resemble any type of normal food--its totally allergen free. It does sort of smell like chicken broth, though. I had to put the bag in the basement 'cause my cats were clawing to get into it!

I knew this was going to be a fairly common greyhound owner dilemma. It is nice to hear I'm not alone with this issue. And yes, she always gets a treat when she comes inside. She is a great little 60lb girl and is very sweet, uber-friendly, and has an incredible helicopter tail that I hope will never be on a "how to treat a happy tail" thread.

Thanks everybody! :)

Guest itsagreytlife

Oh yeah. One last tidbit: I don't "yell" at my dog. Am very consistent in tone & manner as I understand animals do not benefit from hysteria, anger, or irrational behavior or speak. Just like humans.

And yes, she always gets a treat when she comes inside.

Personally I always go out with mine and they get a treat as soon as they have done a wee or poop (whatever I know from past experience they need on any particular outing). They love treats so they get the jobs done very quickly to earn the treat whilst still outside (very handy if it is raining!). Giving a treat only when they come back in just teaches them to run out and in quickly and maybe forget what they were supposed to do out there.

Sue from England

And yes, she always gets a treat when she comes inside.

Personally I always go out with mine and they get a treat as soon as they have done a wee or poop (whatever I know from past experience they need on any particular outing). They love treats so they get the jobs done very quickly to earn the treat whilst still outside (very handy if it is raining!). Giving a treat only when they come back in just teaches them to run out and in quickly and maybe forget what they were supposed to do out there.

I initially go outside with them, but as they get used to the process, they go out alone while I stand at the door and watch. It's funny - Heyokha has figured out that I won't let him back in until he has pottied (or at least made it very clear that he doesn't have to do so). He has gotten to the point where he'll stand right in front of the door so I can see him potty, then he'll jog back up the steps to get his inside treat :lol He knows that he does not get a treat if he didn't potty. He used to be a terrible one to get outside. He just wasn't interested in going into the yard. We'd get him out and he'd immediately double back and snake into the door before it could close.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Oh yeah. One last tidbit: I don't "yell" at my dog. Am very consistent in tone & manner as I understand animals do not benefit from hysteria, anger, or irrational behavior or speak. Just like humans.

99.999% of the time I agree with this but the super occasional time Annie Bella drives me nuts (just toooo much planting her feeties and staring at the sky), my raised voice, a/k/a yelling with "that" tone, gets her movin'. And no, she is not at all hurt. Actually, she gives me big time stinky eye that lets me know she is NOT to be yelled at, to which I reply, "Next time move your long-dog body when I say come." :lol :lol

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I agree with BatterseaBridle - treat heavy when she returns.

I guess I usually take my dog for a quick walk for last call till she goes then we return - so maybe if you were with her outside and she had some company?? Never had this problem for night-time which is always been the best time for mine - they look forward for the long snooze. However, sometimes they have been stubborn (during the day) about getting off their pillow (pretending to be asleep when I am calling). Usually, I just snap the clip on the leash and they come running -- but when they are playing dead, all I have ever had to do is either slide their pillow or lift the corner of it and they jump up and scatter fast - its like they think its an earthquake or something - it must seem scary for them that their bed is moving in relation to the floor. This is easier than trying to pull them off with a leash. I think this is similar to the other poster that said to put your foot under their butt - it is simply unnatural - and that wakes them up pronto.

I knew this was coming. I apologize for using the word yell out of convenience instead of quoting you exactly when you said you use your "I Mean It Voice" (capitalization also yours). Point being, you're not using a nice/calm tone of voice while you're leashing/unleashing/tugging/etc.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest SusanP

DH always does the last turn-out, and long ago, he resorted to a ritual that includes a treat by the back door just to get our lazy hounds out of bed and there. We do not deviate from this, but if any of the dogs is having a special issue that makes them reluctant to go out, we just bring a leash to them, leash them up, and trot them out front on leash to go potty one last time. Our old lady Zippy didn't want to go out back all winter, and I trudged up and down the sidewalk with her until lo and behold, when spring came, she began trotting happily out in the yard again after all!