Healing Lost Pads

Guest akawow

Guest akawow

My recent toe amputee has now lost 2 pads off that foot. I've consulted our vet and the oncologist and they're not concerned about this, as long as they are healing properly. So...anyone have any tips on how to get them to heal quickly?

I've been keeping a sock on w/ vetwrap, but she's none too pleased and chews on it as soon as I'm out of sight for a minute. We had tried a muzzle earlier when the stitches were in and she would beat up the foot w/ the muzzle. Also tried the cone of shame, but she totally freaked w/ it. Any ideas?

Can you post pics? Is it just the outside layer of the pad that's peeled off, or more?

I'd suggest doing both the sock and the muzzle if she's obsessed about licking and chewing her pads.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest akawow

2053149230017335653S500x500Q85.jpg

sorry I haven't got the posting all figured out yet...

this is the pic I sent to the vets, so it's been a couple days and is filling in some now. (but still a long way to go)The one on the right is looking like it may also come off as well.

Yes the muzzle has a poo guard on it. She was able to open up the amp incision working on the wrapped foot w/ the muzzle on. Frankly I think it makes it worse. So I'm watching her continually- can't leave the house! That's why I'd like to get it healed quickly....not to mention that can't feel good. :(

http://thumb13.webshots.net/t/52/752/1/26/66/2413126660017335653OUjTyC_th.jpg

Edited by akawow

Oh, OW.

Definitely need to keep her mouth off of that -- muzzle with stool guard or tape + bitter apple, or cone of shame. Would also talk to the docs about antibiotics if she isn't on them. Hope she heals quickly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am no expert whatsoever but I have so say that over three years of reading countless medical threads here, I've never seen or read of anything like that. It is not the norm for dogs to lose pads after an amputation or having their foot wrapped. I have to wonder if it is related to the mysterious condition that led to the need for the toe amputation -- have you gotten a diagnosis on that yet? I remember you saying they were thinking it might be something autoimmune. Greys lose nails to SLO, an autoimmune condition, so it doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility there could be some parallel here.

Poor girl, that does look awful. Maybe the beginning of that issue is why she didn't want to put weight on that foot? Good thoughts and scritchies to her.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest akawow

How would one use bitter apple? I've thought about it but been afraid that if she did lick at it, it might somehow get in the wound, and that could not be good.

Yes, she's still on Keflex. Part of the right (in photo) pad came off this a.m., but it is not all raw underneath... Osu is basically not putting a diagnosis on it, just wait and watch for other symptoms. I sent the pic to oncologist, who said she fwded it to Dr. Couto, and our local vet. No one seems to be too excited by this. So I guess I'll continue efforts to get this healed, watch and wait.

It's funny, before Osu offered more diagnostics, we were in the same place, just watch and wait and try to keep her comfy. All those tests and procedures really didn't do much in the end. They say they could not find cancer cells, but we still have no idea what her prognosis will be.

I've tried to stay w/ just a sock for max. air exposure, but wondering, as it sometimes sticks ;) to the sock, if there might be some way to use a non stick pad, bandaid, or something minimal under the sock. I'm afraid of trying to bandage as I've seen how much damage bandaging can do w/ such fragile skin. Any ideas??

She is seemingly pretty happy most the time, not much really limping, enjoying her outside potty breaks- (just pissed at me for harping about the licking). Do you think this warrants her being on Tramadol?

Bitter apple on the sock, then let the sock dry before using it.

On the one hand, I might be tempted to try a wrap with a big glob of SSD (silver sulfadiazine) on it. On the other hand, I wonder if the problem was caused by a wrap that got damp ..... If you're seeing some signs of healing, I'd probably leave it be with just the sock or one single layer of vetwrap.

P.S. If you have to use a cone of shame, best is a clear one with a line of masking tape along the outer edge (pup learns pretty quick that white line = outer edge).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest akawow

The fact that it keeps sticking to the sock is what concerns me. I'm guessing every time I detach it, it's pulling away possible new tissue..? Other than that, it's dry. She may sneak a lick at the sock 2-3/day, but I change it immediately.

We had an ugly incident w/ the cone where she went in the crate and totally freaked out- I've hated to try to reintroduce it, but it does have a black edge.

That is a tough one. You could *try* a nonstick bandaid, with the adhesive ends up on her toe (not stuck to any pad tissue). Put a little neosporin or similar on the bandaid pad (else it will stick too; even nonstick stuff will stick if there's a good bit of drainage and the weight of the dog on it).

Guest akawow

I would guess I would need to change the bandaid several times a day (it oozes a bit when she walks) - do you think I can do that w/out damaging her toe skin?

I'm in the bandage got wet camp. Looks like the toe would benefit from a telfa pad and a light wrap but, I wouldn't do that if you question your ability to wrap properly.

If you can get hold of atropine ophthalmic ointment that will help keep her mouth off of her foot. A light coating around the effected area (not on the wound) works wonders- haven't met a dog yet that can stand that taste!! Just make

Sure you wear gloves while applying and DON'T rub your eyes. (it will dilate your eyes).

What about using double-sided tape to try to stick the non-stick Telfa pad to the inside of the sock? I've never tried it and not sure how well it would stay, but might be worth a shot...

Jennifer &

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest akawow

I'm in the bandage got wet camp. Looks like the toe would benefit from a telfa pad and a light wrap but, I wouldn't do that if you question your ability to wrap properly.

If you can get hold of atropine ophthalmic ointment that will help keep her mouth off of her foot. A light coating around the effected area (not on the wound) works wonders- haven't met a dog yet that can stand that taste!! Just make

Sure you wear gloves while applying and DON'T rub your eyes. (it will dilate your eyes).

where would I get that? Rx?

So are you saying this was caused by it being wet while bandaged after the amp? I always worry when they want to bandage and leave it for more than a day..

Edited by akawow

Guest akawow

thanks! is it common for them to not only peel off, but leave such a divit behind? The other toe's has come off, but just a tender light pink pad surface is below.

While pads can peel if kept moist, it's usually just a thin, superficial layer. And honestly, I've had a lot of clients that allow bandages to get wet, and I've never seen it happen.

Based on the pics, it actually looks like your dog has sloughed the bottom of the pad - ie. the tissue died, dried out, then came off. In the photo, the section of the pad on the right that I'm assuming was what came off, looks like dry, devitalized tissue. I've never seen this happen after a toe amputation. Makes me wonder if low blood pressure during anesthesia led to poor blood supply to the area? Or as Beth surmised, maybe it's related to the undiagnosed disease process that led to the amputation?

Jennifer &

gtsig3.jpg

Guest akawow

Interesting.

Things seem on the upswing, it is starting to dry and fill in a bit. I actually took off the sock today for inside. She did some "supervised" licking, trying to keep it to a non destructive amount. However, she had a bad night and began, again, jumping up off her bed and looking back. Gave her some gabba, which seemed to help us get some sleep. Do dogs who have issues w/ phantom pain (and I've been told it is rare w/ toe amp, but...) have it this long after? When would it be expected to end? It's been 5 wks now, which relatively is not that long (but it sure seems like it!)

But w/ the undiagnosed problem who knows what might be going on in there?