Missing Tongue

The big boxer rescue here just took in a dog that was having trouble eating. Turns out that he only has a stump of a tongue.

They are guessing that he lost it in a fight while he was a stray. They are asking if anyone has experience with this as they are sort of at a loss.

Thanks.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Weird! I found a boxer about 6 years ago in a parking lot and took him to my vet, he was also missing his tongue! My vet suspected that he had been hit by a car and possibly bitten it off. What does this boxer look like?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Not exactly the same, but Pogo (my greyhound) had his upper jaw chomped as a puppy, resulting in it being really short and not much good for breathing. Oddly, even though it wasn't bitten, his tongue is also really short, barely able to get past his front teeth. He takes forever to eat, and makes a big mess, but after experimenting with wet food or dry, he seems to do best with kibble with water added at the last minute (not soaked).

Hope he can get enough to eat, however long it might be taking. Has the tongue healed over?

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.