Nala

Guest BellaNala

Guest BellaNala

Well Nala has been ill for the last 5 days. Monday morning she had a limp and only ate dog food that morning. She would not eat the rest of the day and part of Tuesday. Would not even take treats which is unlike her. I few things happened on Sunday...we gutted the backyard from tough brush, weeds and small bushes. It was a bit wooded before we put our fence in so we chopped some trees down as well. We laid grass seed down, but did not seem like the dogs were interested in it plus we rototillered the yard too so the seeds were planted deeper. That evening we took all to the park and when we were coming home I seen something in her ear and thought it was dirt. I tried to dig it out, but would not come out. We found out it was a tick inbeded in her ear. We also gave her a dose of Frontline on Monday as well. So, it started with a limp then not eating, then looked at her feet to see if she hurt or cut herself while running the backyard while we were trying to clean it up. She had a few lacerations on her feet, but nothing of concern. Made sure they were kept clean by rinsing them. Then I noticed when she had a bowel movement it looked like it just squirted out so I went to investigate and it was black and very runny. Now I got really concerned about her, so in order to get her to eat I boiled some chicken and rice and she ate that in small portions given. She was becoming very lethargic and would sleep a lot.

So today I took her to the vet and they ran comprehensive exam, CBC, health profile, heartworm anitgen K-9 test, fecal exam and took blood. Her platelets were low, NO fever though and negative on all Tick diseases. The vet wanted to do another Tick disease test which was not included, but would have to be sent to a lab because they could not do it in house...cost $160.00! She wanted to give her all these medicines which were extremely expensive. Being on a tight budget I told her to give me what was necessary right now and I will talk it over with my boyfriend before we proceed further. I did get two medicines Flagyl and Carafate because she thinks she might be bleeding inside upper G.I. So she wanted to put her on medicine for the other tick disease they did not test her for..?

Though I love Nala like family I think they might be taking me for a ride.

Just last night she did eat a whole bowl of food which was positve for us and this morning. When I got home from work this evening she was more active playing around with the toys..and no limp anymore.

Guest greysmitten

Oh geez, it's tough to make these decisions, especially when her symptoms have come on so quickly.

Is it possible that she ate a newly discovered plant after you cleared the brush? Keep a close eye on her. Did her black bowel movement have gritty stuff in it, like old blood?

Guest BellaNala

Oh geez, it's tough to make these decisions, especially when her symptoms have come on so quickly.

Is it possible that she ate a newly discovered plant after you cleared the brush? Keep a close eye on her. Did her black bowel movement have gritty stuff in it, like old blood?

Its possible. Well check her bowel movement tomorrow, but didn't investigate too closely will look closer next time.

Taking you for a ride??? Your dog is very ill and most likely should be hospitalized. It sounds like your vet was very conservative with the diagnostics that were run (personally, I feel radiographs may have been helpful). Please follow your vets recommendations and if your not comfortable working with your current vet or question the advised treatment plan please consider a second opinion elsewhere.

Don't mean to sound harsh and I'm truly glad she seems to be improving but, there are some conditions and diseases best caught early and it's ill advised to adopt a wait and see plan.

Edited by tbhounds

Flagyl and carafate are the go-to meds for diarrhea/stomach problems. Perhaps the vet wanted to also give doxycycline, which works on most of the tick-borne diseases. (It is also, however, hard on the stomach.) The kinds of TBD tests that can be done in the vet's office aren't exhaustive, so you haven't ruled out all but one TBD. I hear you that money is tight, and you just spent a whole lot. But your vet's responses seem entirely reasonable to me. Hope Nala continues to improve!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest BellaNala

Taking you for a ride??? Your dog is very ill and most likely should be hospitalized. It sounds like your vet was very conservative with the diagnostics that were run (personally, I feel radiographs may have been helpful). Please follow your vets recommendations and if your not comfortable working with your current vet or question the advised treatment plan please consider a second opinion elsewhere.

Don't mean to sound harsh and I'm truly glad she seems to be improving but, there are some conditions and diseases best caught early and it's ill advised to adopt a wait and see plan.

Wow a little harsh...yes I agree. I am doing all I can to help her improve. I did follow most of them...I have another medicine to fill yet the only thing I did not do was the other tick test. So I am not following the recommendations? I do not want to treat her unless I know she has the other tick disease. What if it causes more problems?

Guest BellaNala

Flagyl and carafate are the go-to meds for diarrhea/stomach problems. Perhaps the vet wanted to also give doxycycline, which works on most of the tick-borne diseases. (It is also, however, hard on the stomach.) The kinds of TBD tests that can be done in the vet's office aren't exhaustive, so you haven't ruled out all but one TBD. I hear you that money is tight, and you just spent a whole lot. But your vet's responses seem entirely reasonable to me. Hope Nala continues to improve!

I have a script for Doxycycline too which I will get filled at a pharmacy might save me a little money. I will see what I can do about the other test in the near future just couldn't afford to pay it all at once.

It sounds like you might be new to greyhounds -- and they are a bit different -- as well as new to this vet. Which makes it hard for you to know which end is up. Sometimes we all get to that place even when we've had our dogs and been with our vets for some time! So don't feel like you're out of place, and it's great that you came here because there are a few thousand greyhound owners here, some of whom are even vets or techs. We're all glad to help, though sometimes our sense of alarm leads us to be sort of blunt. I have the same concerns tbhounds has, I think, insofar as Nala's having a collection of symptoms over a period of days, black diarrhea is never a good thing, and you're not sure the vet isn't scamming you to some extent. If nobody else shows up here to contradict us, it's probably safe for you to believe that your vet was doing a good job and has Nala's best interests at heart. And if you're going to do a wait-and-see over a weekend, you should probably have a trustworthy 24-hour vet within reach -- or your vet's cell number.

One thing we've used -- both with our vets and our dentists -- is Care Credit. It's a credit system for health care, and many offices have the arrangement whereby you pay no interest if you pay off Care Credit within a period of time, up to 12 months. Can't beat an interest-free loan, right? (In fact it's the medical office which pays the interest, as I understand it.) You might inquire if this is available at your vet's. Even if you don't want to use it now, you may want to in the future, especially if you have three dogs.

Please keep us posted about Nala's progress, okay? Tell her to :getwell !!!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Wow a little harsh...yes I agree. I am doing all I can to help her improve. I did follow most of them...I have another medicine to fill yet the only thing I did not do was the other tick test. So I am not following the recommendations? I do not want to treat her unless I know she has the other tick disease. What if it causes more problems?

I do not believe anyone is intending to be 'harsh' as the response came from someone very knowledgeable. You questioned whether the vet was 'taking you for a ride', I don't see it that way either. The vet in question was trying to ensure the health of your pup and due to the various symptoms and lack of any confirmed diagnosis from the tests that were ran, she was proposing additional tests/meds. Unfortunately these days when a pup gets sick it will cost money to help diagnose and treat and those bills can get up there quickly. If you feel it is too expensive then someone suggested 'Care Credit' or perhaps speak to you vet about paying over several weeks, some vets will do that. Bottom line is I think based on what you wrote, the vet was only trying to help. I hope Nala improves as that is the most important issue here.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I really recommend you go with the tick testing and the meds. Tick disease aren't unusual in greyhounds and they can have awful consequences.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Your vet isn't taking you for a ride. She's being responsible. Gastric bleeding and low platelets (depending on how low) can indicate a condition that will be fatal without prompt, appropriate treatment.

The quick vet's-office test for tick disease only catches "over the top" signs of infection. A dog can be very very ill and still get a negative on that test.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't know about dogs, but in humans, it takes 3 weeks for Lyme disease to show up in blood work and it takes 48 hours for the disease to be passed from tick to human.

I live in tick country, U.S.A. (in a county that has the second highest incidence of Lyme disease in New York State). I'm always picking ticks off Annie Bella and me. Because Lyme often has no symptoms, we get tested every 3 months to ensure it's not smoldering, doing unseen damage.

Guest BellaNala

It sounds like you might be new to greyhounds -- and they are a bit different -- as well as new to this vet. Which makes it hard for you to know which end is up. Sometimes we all get to that place even when we've had our dogs and been with our vets for some time! So don't feel like you're out of place, and it's great that you came here because there are a few thousand greyhound owners here, some of whom are even vets or techs. We're all glad to help, though sometimes our sense of alarm leads us to be sort of blunt. I have the same concerns tbhounds has, I think, insofar as Nala's having a collection of symptoms over a period of days, black diarrhea is never a good thing, and you're not sure the vet isn't scamming you to some extent. If nobody else shows up here to contradict us, it's probably safe for you to believe that your vet was doing a good job and has Nala's best interests at heart. And if you're going to do a wait-and-see over a weekend, you should probably have a trustworthy 24-hour vet within reach -- or your vet's cell number.

One thing we've used -- both with our vets and our dentists -- is Care Credit. It's a credit system for health care, and many offices have the arrangement whereby you pay no interest if you pay off Care Credit within a period of time, up to 12 months. Can't beat an interest-free loan, right? (In fact it's the medical office which pays the interest, as I understand it.) You might inquire if this is available at your vet's. Even if you don't want to use it now, you may want to in the future, especially if you have three dogs.

Please keep us posted about Nala's progress, okay? Tell her to :getwell !!!

She hasn't had a bowel movement today as of yet. I will have my boyfriend call the vet and talk with her so he gets all the info I did which was A LOT to inhale. I will get the extra test soon becaue I love all my girls ...2 Greyhounds Nala & Abbie and my Iggy Bella. I do not want anything to happen and it is not about the money...I hope you did not get that impression on me. It's just having tight budget working part-time, going to school and having a 12 year old daughter whom just turned 12 years old TODAY. I wanted my boyfriend to go with me because he always seems to ask the right questions.

It's tough when your pets get sick and it costs money to get them better but, left untreated the results can be devastating. Your pet might have a few things going on which is why it is going to be more expensive to treat. You mentioned a tick and then you cleared the brush .. either one of these could be the reason for the sickness or ... maybe both - there might also be a chance of a snake or spider bite since brush was being disturbed .....

Having a dog sick for 5 days is also something that does not work in your favor, usually you want your dog at the vet as soon as possible if there is signs of either bloody diarrhea or bloody vomiting or just diarrhea and vomiting together. Many pet owners will wait a few days to see if it gets better and in many cases, it just makes it worse and more expensive to treat.

The black stool sounds like there might be blood in the GI which is very concerning so whatever is happening with that should be treated as soon as possible. It could be that the medicines that the vet has provided will help the GI issues. Not sure if the GI issue is causing the "tiredness" so that also needs to be thoroughly researched and treated (as that could be Lyme or other tick disease).

As to the charges .....One of my greyhounds got into something in the yard that made her very nauseous to the point that she became severely dehydrated in the matter of an hour (drooling by the cup load) - she ended up at the ER vet for an overnight stay and when I picked her up the charge was $600+. Two months later, she had a broken tooth that got infected when it was hit by the other dogs playing and the emergency surgery to remove the tooth and antibiotics for the infection was again $600+. That doesn't include charges for the "anal gland issues" that seem to be running through my pets. If you think the charges are excessive - call other vets in the area and see what they would charge for the tests. as a note, most vets are very aware that the costs for pet treatment can be difficult for the owners to bear and will usually keep the tests/treatment they recommend to the bare minimum.

Guest BellaNala

It's tough when your pets get sick and it costs money to get them better but, left untreated the results can be devastating. Your pet might have a few things going on which is why it is going to be more expensive to treat. You mentioned a tick and then you cleared the brush .. either one of these could be the reason for the sickness or ... maybe both - there might also be a chance of a snake or spider bite since brush was being disturbed .....

Having a dog sick for 5 days is also something that does not work in your favor, usually you want your dog at the vet as soon as possible if there is signs of either bloody diarrhea or bloody vomiting or just diarrhea and vomiting together. Many pet owners will wait a few days to see if it gets better and in many cases, it just makes it worse and more expensive to treat.

The black stool sounds like there might be blood in the GI which is very concerning so whatever is happening with that should be treated as soon as possible. It could be that the medicines that the vet has provided will help the GI issues. Not sure if the GI issue is causing the "tiredness" so that also needs to be thoroughly researched and treated (as that could be Lyme or other tick disease).

As to the charges .....One of my greyhounds got into something in the yard that made her very nauseous to the point that she became severely dehydrated in the matter of an hour (drooling by the cup load) - she ended up at the ER vet for an overnight stay and when I picked her up the charge was $600+. Two months later, she had a broken tooth that got infected when it was hit by the other dogs playing and the emergency surgery to remove the tooth and antibiotics for the infection was again $600+. That doesn't include charges for the "anal gland issues" that seem to be running through my pets. If you think the charges are excessive - call other vets in the area and see what they would charge for the tests. as a note, most vets are very aware that the costs for pet treatment can be difficult for the owners to bear and will usually keep the tests/treatment they recommend to the bare minimum.

It is very possible for a spider bite, but not sure on snakes. I did see a lizard out there it was about 6 inches long at least 1 in wide. It was ugly...I threw it over the fence. I have some good news...though it was only a drop of blood there was no parasite found in the other tick disease that we were going to test for. Though I know dogs have a lot of blood in their system that want to be more precise...but at least that is a good thing so far. Still getting results back. Found the term she is referring to for the tick disease Waubesa? Heard of it?

Edited by BellaNala

i'd estimate my vet bills over the first six months since ive had my greyhound, including prescriptions, bloodwork, misc. tests, and a visit to the behaviorist, are up around $1500-$1700 at this point. its brutal, but i have to accept the fact of the costs. i knew going in that dogs can be expensive, and it just so happens that i hit the reverse jackpot with this one so far. believe me, its money that i dont really have, but when i think about trying to skimp on his care, i remember that i was the one who made the decision to take him in, and that these costs are therefore my responsibility.

Guest BellaNala

Just seen her take a poop.....it is BACK TO BROWN...YAY!

i'd estimate my vet bills over the first six months since ive had my greyhound, including prescriptions, bloodwork, misc. tests, and a visit to the behaviorist, are up around $1500-$1700 at this point. its brutal, but i have to accept the fact of the costs. i knew going in that dogs can be expensive, and it just so happens that i hit the reverse jackpot with this one so far. believe me, its money that i dont really have, but when i think about trying to skimp on his care, i remember that i was the one who made the decision to take him in, and that these costs are therefore my responsibility.

I am not trying to skimp on her care and I know I am 100% responsible..and my decision to take her in. I bought the necessary medicines that I needed NOW. Vet said the Doxcycline will be the one to take care of the Waubesa disease so I covered all my bases with her. She just overwhelmed me with all the info she gave me yesterday I did not know where to start.

Guest BellaNala

If you are referring to Babesia- doxy is not the medication that will treat that.

Yea for good poops!

Well that is what she told me...saying I need to get it filled today because it was very important to do so..to help the other tick disease if she has it. She pronounced in Waubesa I don't know. I am going to get another opinion on Monday with another vet my friend highly recommended. Thanks though!