Bloat...

Guest thecoyotesgrin

Guest thecoyotesgrin

SO I picked up Auggie from his foster Mom about 7pm today. He had eaten at 5pm.

Facts:

He is normally panting pretty much constantly - laying down or not - but he seems to be breathing heavy.

He is laying down without seeming to have any discomfort.

He acted pretty much normal - nothing I noticed differently in personality.

He is only distended when he lays down, not when he is standing.

He has been farting frequently all evening.

He has been sleeping in his normal positions.

He gets up and moves around with me the two times I took him out to potty.

He has burped twice - fishy smell resulting.

He has not paced, whined, licked the air.

He stands and walks normally.

He lets me palpate his stomach and compress his ribcage.

He went pee outside in the midst of this.

I know I have often experienced a bit of a freak out when reading medical material and I dont want him to suffer for my mommy-anxiety.

I think he's just a bit stressed. Most dogs look fatter lying down. If he's comfortable lying down and moving and pushing his belly, I don't think it's bloat. If those things change or he tries to vomit and nothing comes up, then you should start to worry. Keep a good eye on him and make sure he has plenty of water.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

He sounds fine to me, but bloat is pretty rare in NGA hounds. If he's snoozing and seems content, I would think he's probably okay :)

I would just keep an eye on him. Panting can be so many things, or nothing at all. His panting does sound very fast in the video, but I only have Rocket to compare that to. Rocket starts panting when the temp goes above 65 or 70, but it's not normally that rapid.

If you see a major change during the night, or something else seems off, then you have to use your best judgement about a trip to the vet. In an emergency, don't post and wait for an answer here. Although there are often people on GT overnight, it can also take a long time to get a response here in the wee hours.

Could he be excessively warm for some reason? Might try a cool damp towel if he is, but keep it cool, don't let the towel trap heat under it.

Hope your overnight is quiet.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Signs of bloat

>distended and drum-tight tummy

>attempts to vomit multiple times with no results (not even yellow bile)

>heavy panting indicating pain

>inability to produce stools

>drinking water comes back up right away

>white gums, dry mucous membranes

>can't get comfortable lieing down or standing

The fact that he's burping and farting may indicate he has gas - which can technically be bloat. But if it's passing one way or another, I would just watch him for a change in behavior. Stress, feeding strange food, or in a strange place, anxiety can all cause excess gas to build up in the system. It becomes dangerous when the body can't get rid of it. It becomes REALLY dangerous when the gas causes the stomach to inflate and twist over on itself (Bloat with Torsion). This is immediately life-threatening and MUST be treated as soon as possible for the dog to survive.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest thecoyotesgrin

He slept quietly through the night... I think he was just full of water (peed a third time before "blankey" time (bedtime)) and he was breathing so slow i was concerned he was dead once - teaches me to not freak out over nothing and that puppy is just gassy on chewy treats.

Milkbone all the way!

For those of you that posted - thanks.

I'm glad to read he is okay. I have read that you can give Gas-X to help with the gas. Also, here is a great chart of bloat symptoms (from the Scottish Deerhound Club of America).

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Glad to hear Auggie is okay.

We do use Gas-X once in a while for Rocket, but only when we hear those little squeals coming from his stomach that indicate gas is trying to pass, but isn't coming out.

If he's passing gas normally, then we don't use the Gas-X. Usually within a few minutes of giving it, he lets out a loud belch.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Another vote for Gas-X when needed, which is maybe when the gas is excessive and/or making him uncomfortable.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).