Need Cooked Dog Food Recipe

Guest brit1

Guest brit1

I basically feed mostly raw to my other dog but adopted a senior with poor appetite and she seems to prefer cooked. She has no problem/allergies with grains or any particular meats. Would appreciate a good complete recipe from someone who totally cooks for their dog, I don't give any kibble. I did try her on Honest Kitchen but she didn't like it :( Thanks for any input brit

I have a library of dog food books, and I'm sure a lot of cooked recipes! So many, that it would be hard to post them all. What kind are you looking for? I have recipes for health problems, grains, no grains, etc. I am not sure if I can post the recipe's here due to copyright (? :unsure ) as they are all out of books. But if you let me know more details I can message them to you!

Guest sirsmom

I don't have any recipes on hand but when I was cooking for one of our dogs who was ill, I used Dr Pitcairn's book and I got it from our local library. Also, Mary Strauss has a good one called Healthy Dog Cookbook you may want to check out.

Guest brit1

Yes good point, forgot to mention I had her teeth cleaned and one extracton. According to previous owner she has always had a poor appetite. I also gave her probiotics but didn't seem to make a difference. brit

Have you had her teeth checked? It might be painful for her to bite anything firm.

Thanks, I do have books also but was wondering if someone had used a particular regime with success :) brit

I have a library of dog food books, and I'm sure a lot of cooked recipes! So many, that it would be hard to post them all. What kind are you looking for? I have recipes for health problems, grains, no grains, etc. I am not sure if I can post the recipe's here due to copyright (? :unsure ) as they are all out of books. But if you let me know more details I can message them to you!

My dogs are on home-cooked with one having a kidney issue and food allergies for years now and the other a seizure dog. One needs preservative free food while the other one cannot have chicken & noodles and needs low but good protein.

Basically, each dog gets fed twice a day and their evening meal is about 2 to 2 1/2 cups white rice with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup veggies like cooked green beans, peas, carrots and between 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cooked hamburger or meat chunks.

In the morning they get about 1 to 1 1/4 cup of cooked oatmeal with about 1/2 to 1 cup of rice or potatoes with some milk and a bit of molasses and between 1/4 to 1/2 cup of meat chunks/hamburger.

I don't feed chicken and very rarely do I feed pork.

For supplements my 85 pound dog gets 4 calcium pills a day (two at each meal) - the oyster shell ones and make sure there is NO added vitamin D. My 68 pound girl gets 3 calcium pills a day. They each get one fish oil and a multivitamin each day.

For the morning snack they get some toast and then about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter. Their evening snack is a tablespoon or two of yogurt (whole milk) and a tablespoon of applesauce.

You can substitute the rice for something like elbow macaroni which is what my new dog gets.

You could always contact Dr Remillard. She's a veterinary nutritionist. She will design a recipe for you. She was at Angell in Boston but, I believe she may be at NCU now-- yes, she does phone consults.

Edited to add- did some googling-- check out www.petdiets.com

Edited by tbhounds

My current home-cookee gets beef + egg + cheerios and/or shredded wheat + calcium supplement + vitamin/mineral supplement. Occasionally some chicken, chicken liver, pork, fish, but mostly beef + egg for protein. Used to give rice for the carb portion but got tired of cooking it. Carbs because this one needs lower protein. Cheerios & Shredded Wheat are two low-additive breakfast cereals, IIRC Grape Nuts is another.

Previous home-cookee had an undetermined food sensitivity and got beef + calcium supplement + vitamin/mineral supplement.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.