Clingy Stage

Truman the puppy is now six-months-old. His personality has really blossomed, and he has made great strides in the past month with housebreaking and obedience training. He doesn't have any real issues with separation anxiety, but he still seems to be very clingy. When I'm home, he has to be right next to me and usually touching me. When we go on walks, he looks back a hundred times to see where I am. He follows me everywhere. Henry is super independent, so I've never had this kind of issue before. I'd like to phase out crating him at night, but I know he would try to jump up in the bed. I don't coddle him, because I don't believe dogs should be treated like babies. However, he is used to getting a lot of attention, pets, and playtime. Should I cut back, or is this a normal stage for a pup?

Edited by a_daerr

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Sounds like a velcro boy! This stage has lasted approximately fourteen years and six months so far in my Whippet :lol

(and he's slept in my bed since he was 8 weeks old)

Nothing odd about that. My first grey had to be with me all the time. Her whole 13 years, she had to be next to me or at lest keep me within eye sight. Ellie like to be around but not attached to my hip. Greyhounds are like people, each has their own personality. Some aloof, some needy :lol

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest DragonflyDM

I love that Boomer is a velcro.. he is my buddy…but you could train a “bit” of that out of him. Have other people (a variety) take him for walks and such…. he will gain more confidence being without you--- but if he loves you he will always come home and want to be with you.

And who wouldn’t want to spend more time with you??? Right?

Guest Jacks_Human

Jack's natural state is as a velcro boy. But since he is fine when left home alone, I'm happy for him to cuddle up to me as much as possible when I'm around.