Something Wrong With Razz....

Guest LittleGreys

Guest LittleGreys

Something is wrong with my Razz. So hard to deal with this right now with all that is going on with Munchie.

Razz has not felt good for a couple days, she has not been eating and has had very loud belly gurgles. This is not real unusual for her, so I was not too concerned. Yesterday afternoon, she attacked Munchie, luckily it was mostly noise, and a couple small bites, Munchie is OK. Later last evening, she went after my Beagle pretty viciously, and bit my arm in the process of me breaking it up. I grabbed her by the collar and pulled her off the Beagle. She has never been muzzled, she is AKC and I got her as a puppy, but I found a muzzle from one of my previous fosters and muzzled her until bedtime. She whined ALL night long. I got up several times and put her outside, she would go back in her crate and immediately start the whining again. I got her out this morning and she is either acting neurologic or I am wondering if her neck is injured, maybe when I pulled her off the Beagle. She won't raise her head, she walks in big circles (around the perimeter of the room), occasionally stumbles and looks like she is going to fall over. The vet was examining her and she screamed when she picked up her right foot, even though it looks like she might be favoring the left. Later, though, I picked up her foot, squeezed all over her foot and leg with no reaction. She is back in the kennel now, as we had appointments come in, so I am deciding if I want to xray anything or not. I don't think its her foot since I couldn't get her to react to it again. She is very difficult to xray, so would rather not if I don't have to, and I don't want to sedate her if it may be neurologic. So I guess for awhile I am just going to keep an eye on her. Usually I have to bring Munchie with her to work because she will pitch a huge fit being alone in the kennel, but obviously I didn't want to do that today, I don't want Munchie in the kennel with her. But she is not making a peep back there, so I know something is wrong.

Guest LittleGreys

Could she have had a slight stroke?? I would give her an 81mg aspirin just in case..just a thought. Keep us posted.

I didn't think of anything like that. I will ask the doctor. Thank you for the suggestion.

I just went and checked on her and she is laying in a wierd position just whining. It is worrying me. She is for sure not herself. At times, she acts like she is going to have a seizure, but doesn't. She had a severe seizure 18 months ago, but nothing since.

Daisy has a compressed disc in her neck which displays as limping in her right leg (or her least her gait is off if it's not a full-fledged limp). Can't tell you how many times that poor girl was x-rayed before we figured out what was wrong with her.

Talk to vets before giving meds because prednisone may be the med of choice and it CANNOT be given with an NSAID.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Daisy has a compressed disc in her neck which displays as limping in her right leg (or her least her gait is off if it's not a full-fledged limp). Can't tell you how many times that poor girl was x-rayed before we figured out what was wrong with her.

Talk to vets before giving meds because prednisone may be the med of choice and it CANNOT be given with an NSAID.

Steroids are out of vogue for spinal injuries now anyway. NSAIDs and cage rest are the medical management of choice now (I know a lot of vets haven't switched over yet, but this is what we learn in neurology now). Also, according to Dr. Couto if a greyhound DOES have a stroke it should NOT be given any steroids and should be given low dose aspirin. This of course makes sense because the cause of the stroke would be a blood clot and steroids actually cause hypercoaguability and aspirin is a "blood thinner" (inhibits platelets and therefore clotting). Given that steroids are out of vogue for spinal injuries anyway, my inclination would be to give an NSAID to cover both possibilities.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Steroids are out of vogue for spinal injuries now anyway. NSAIDs and cage rest are the medical management of choice now (I know a lot of vets haven't switched over yet, but this is what we learn in neurology now). Also, according to Dr. Couto if a greyhound DOES have a stroke it should NOT be given any steroids and should be given low dose aspirin. This of course makes sense because the cause of the stroke would be a blood clot and steroids actually cause hypercoaguability and aspirin is a "blood thinner" (inhibits platelets and therefore clotting). Given that steroids are out of vogue for spinal injuries anyway, my inclination would be to give an NSAID to cover both possibilities.

True enough. I had forgotten that about steroids v NSAIDS. However, the point remains, talk to the vet before medicating so you don't give something that is contraindicated with what the doc wants to use.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Just pointting out that my bridge girl Kate was taking pred AND a low dose aspirin (20mgs) daily- it was prescribed by Dr Couto so, at times the 2 can be given together. I would still run the aspirin suggestion by your vet first though.

Perhaps a neurologist should be seen at this point???

Just pointting out that my bridge girl Kate was taking pred AND a low dose aspirin (20mgs) daily- it was prescribed by Dr Couto so, at times the 2 can be given together. I would still run the aspirin suggestion by your vet first though.

Perhaps a neurologist should be seen at this point???

This is true too, we do often given low dose aspirin as an anti-platelet while simultaneously giving prednisone... or in the case of Cushing's dogs we give aspirin for their steroid induced coagulopathy inspite of the fact that they have super high endogenous steroid production.

However yes, I wouldn't give anything without sound medical advice.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!