Steal And Destroy!

Guest Avisher224

Guest Avisher224

My three year old male Zip has always been very curious and playful, but lately he's getting out of control with stealing items and chewing them up. He's destroyed multiple pairs of sandals, a hat, a book, some decorative cat figurines.... the list goes on and on! I have had to start muzzling him when I'm gone so I don't come back to half my things destroyed, but sometimes he can even get things with his muzzle on (I frequently find tissues or paper that he's stolen from the trash on his bed). He is VERY stealthy about his stealing ways, so I can rarely catch him in the act and scold him. He has PLENTY of toys to play with, bones to chew on, and his brother (another VERY well behaved greyhound) to keep him company, so he can't be that bored! I wouldn't even care if he was just hoarding things on his bed, but I'm worried that he's going to chew on something that's harmful to him one of these times. Any advice to discourage this behavior (other than nailing down every item in the house!)?

We have a destroyer. He wears a muzzle with a muzzle cup when we are not right with him for his own safety. We crate him when we go out so he doesn't have to wear his muzzle all the time. We have special blankets for him as he has so much fun with the stuffing in a comforter. DH sits in his chair most of the evening and watches TV. Our destroyer spends the evenings sleeping without his muzzle on the couch next to DH.

Best of luck. We've been there.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

At three, he's still veyr much a puppy and you should treat him as such. This is really normal puppy behavior.

Put the shoes away and close the closet door. Close the door to the bathroom. Baby gate him in a dog-proofed room when you leave. Crate him if you're able. Definitely muzzle him with a stool guard. Freeze peanut butter in a Kong to keep him busy when you go.

Best defense is to simply not give him access.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

How much exercise is he getting? I don't happen to consider a 3 year old a "puppy," per se, but three is very young and energetic. If he's not getting ample exercise and perhaps mental exercise too, in the form of training, he probably IS bored.

I bet your other dog sleeps all day. That's not entertaining to him!

A tired dog is a happy dog! And probably better behaved.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Jacks_Human

A tired dog is a happy dog! And probably better behaved.

I make sure Jack has had some zoomies or a long walk if I'm going to leave him alone for awhile. Dogs who are tuckered out and fast asleep can't get into mischief.

Bottom line, you can just muzzle him-- it won't be upsetting, and will keep him from eating something nasty.

Guest NJgrey

At three, he's still veyr much a puppy and you should treat him as such. This is really normal puppy behavior.

Put the shoes away and close the closet door. Close the door to the bathroom. Baby gate him in a dog-proofed room when you leave. Crate him if you're able. Definitely muzzle him with a stool guard. Freeze peanut butter in a Kong to keep him busy when you go.

Best defense is to simply not give him access.

Excellent post, agree completely. You're just going to have to puppy proof the house until he grows out of the behavior.