Food Recommendation

Thoughts on food for a greyhound puppy? When Bella (grey) was a pup I fed Eagle Pac Holistic (puppy) and she did well on it. My current dog Keeva(grey/whippet mix) and Bella (prior to her passing) ate TOTW which I like very much. Any thoughts on protein levels for a growing pup? Thanks for any input.

Linda and Keeva

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I have raised a few greyhound puppies over the years and i try to keep my protien levels below 33%. Puppies can develop bone/joint issues if they grow too fast.

Guest greybookends

I got Ginny when she was 7 weeks old she is now 6. Until recently she had never eaten commercial food. Only raw. Due to costs I am now feeding half raw, half kibble. She has no problems.

felix came to me at 7 weeks. basically my vet said the new findings are to feed a pup adult food. so, we went w/ holistic select adult, i forgot which variety. i also spoke to some large dog owners/breeders who always stayed away from "high protien" food and kept the protien around 24% or less for puppies. don't expect to keep weight on a growing puppy, be patient, slow and steady and enjoy watching them grow.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/2635691/hr/1407899903/name/n_a

felix at 7 weeks, 5am enjoying some cottage cheese. we gave(still give) him a tad, as a friend who is a vet said,"it's the closest thing to mother's milk" (felix who was orphaned never had "mother's milk")

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest WhiteWave

TOTW already has puppy food out. Riddick ate it for a while, but he couldn't keep on weight so we switched to Native level 3 puppy and was very happy with it. It is 30/20 but he was growing fine on it. Ronon is eating it too and his coat is beautiful and soft. Just put Rebel on it from dog chow and in 1 week his coat is already improving and he has gained 1.5lbs which was needed since he is under racing weight. I do rotate foods, but have been very happy with this food.

Can't remember why I switched from Eagle Pac Holistic, something changed with the formula. I checked yesterday for TOTW puppy but not here yet. Will continue checking out foods. Yes, a puppy is coming. After Bella passed I could not ever imagine having another dog again, it was too hard. But you know how things work and a special boy needs a home, foster home for now.

Linda and Keeva