Itchy Itchy Itchy!

Guest Oakleylove

Guest Oakleylove

My poor little girl is soooo itchy, everywhere. This started about a week ago. She constantly scratches. There are no fleas, no bug bites, only a little bit of skin irritation that she usually gets around this time of year, but she has never scratched so much. Our pollen has been unusually high for the past 2 weeks, so I am starting to think that she has allergies, but I am unsure what to do for her. I started giving her a fish oil pill just a few days ago. I know people give their hounds benedryl, but I am unsure at how much I should give her. Please help!!!

Give her some Benadryl and see if that helps. You can give her 1 25mg. pill for each 25lbs. of weight and you can give it every 4 - 6 hours.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I gave my allergy boy 50 mg in the morning along with loratadine (generic Claritin) per vet instruction and that really helped him out.

Keep checking for fleas. Dazzle had a similar episode a few years ago. He itched and lost hair for nearly 3 weeks until finally I found ONE single flea. He has a flea allergy, so he's hyper-sensitive.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

We went through this last year with Rocket. Still don't know what caused it although we suspect it was ragweed. He spent the summer on Pred which was the only thing that ended up working. Not our first choice in treatment, but all of the others had virtually no effect. Good luck.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest sheila

when I had a dog (non grey) that had seasonal allergies I would take her to the vet and she would get a Benedryl injection. I didn't have to have a scheduled appt for this. I would just call ahead and one of the techs would give her the shot in the lobby and save the exam fee and just pay for the shot. The relief from the itchies was almost immediate.

Guest WhiteWave

If your dog has flea allergies, one flea bite can cause intense itching even though you don't see fleas. Plus right now pollen is horrible. I ended up in the hospital my self last week b/c of my asthma due to allergies.

We have 2 dogs w/ severe allergies to fleas and seasonal allergies to pollen. Rocky and Circe are a constant battle to keep them in fur and not raw and bloody. They take Comfortis for fleas plus Zrytec and Benadryl daily and supplements:coconut oil, local raw honey, raw apple cider vinegar and fish oil. I also was reading about adding Bromelain as it blocks histamine so I ordered some to try as well.

In adition to the above suggestions...

Try bathing her with Allergroom shampoo -- it seems to offer some relief from the itchies.

The other thing that worked the best on itchy Heisman's paws was Bag Balm. (I tried so many things!) I applied it to the red, inflamed, ugly red paws every day for a couple of weeks, and his itchiness / irritation subsided. Now his paws are a pale pink, instead of bright red, and the hair is even growing back on his knuckles. :yay

Good luck.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Antihistamines should be tried - many are available -chlortrimeton, Benadryl Claritin........

I find I must give weekly baths to my allergy hound during the months he has flair ups. Washing the topical allergens off is extremely beneficial. I use Ketochlor shampo (antibacterial) and use Resticort (hydrocort lotion) leave on loton applied just after his bath

Good luck- allergies are a bummer!

Edited by tbhounds