Quick Queation

Guest Greytluv

What does your vet say?

I traveled with my Annie Bella, a 67-pound female, just this past weekend, and the vet prescribed 1 mg of Xanax, to be given no more than every 24 hours. Annie has a lot of car anxiety which the Xanax relieved. The Xanax didn't knock her out. It did eliminate her anxiety almost 100%. She no longer panted. She no longer wandered the back of the SUV. She no longer stayed awake for the trip. I could tell she wasn't happy, but the symptoms of that unhappiness were not manifested in panting, drooling, drippy nose or pacing. There were no negative effects either. Even during the 5-hour trip, she was able to jump out of my SUV, do some P&Ping, walk around sniffing and then easily jump back into the vehicle. The 1 mg. didn't seem to last much beyond 4 to 4.5 hours, though. As the trip wound down she started exhibiting mile anxiety.

Maximum dose is 4 mg per 24 hr period. I'd start with 0.5 or 1 mg depending on how sensitive your dog is to the medication. It will have an effective life of about 5 hours, with dosing no closer together than 8 hours. Make sure you give it to him BEFORE he begins to be stressed. It doesn't appear to be as effective once the anxious behavior starts.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Maximum dose is 4 mg per 24 hr period. I'd start with 0.5 or 1 mg depending on how sensitive your dog is to the medication. It will have an effective life of about 5 hours, with dosing no closer together than 8 hours. Make sure you give it to him BEFORE he begins to be stressed. It doesn't appear to be as effective once the anxious behavior starts.

This. Also note that while they say it takes 30-60 minutes to kick in, maximum effectiveness appears to be a couple of hours in. I increased Violet gradually from .5 to 1 to 2 mg when we were trying to treat her SA and when that wasn't cutting it, the vet okayed jumping to 4 mg. Bad idea. She was high as a kite and stumbling around. Well actually she may have thought it was a really fun experiment, but I don't recommend it. ;)

If I were you, I would test it out when you are at home and can observe the results first.

ETA: She is 60 lbs.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Dogs, like people, react differently to meds. Annie Bella's Xanax dose was noticeable kicking in in about 10 minutes. Within 40 minutes, she was in a very calm condition that lasted for another 2+ hours before she started showing signs of becoming less calm.

If I were you, I would test it out when you are at home and can observe the results first.

Important to call your vet first, and offer names of any other current medications. Xanax can be dangerous to mix with other meds.

I agree about testing Xanax at home first. It can create the opposite of the desired affect in certain hound patients.