Buffered Aspirin While On Doxy?

Hope someone knows the answer!

Kip's on doxycycline for the Lyme, but it's responding more slowly this time. He's finally eating again and acting happy and normal, but he's still limping badly on two legs. One really appears to hurt.

The drug info we got doesn't say anything about aspirin, but...with the diarrhea, I don't want to chance some stomach issues.

Anyone know if we can try buffered aspirin on top of the doxy?

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

Really would avoid aspirin. Probably the nastiest NSAID out there for causing stomach issues.

I'm sorry your boy is hurting.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Any reason why you wouldn't give an NSAID? I would try that before aspirin. All of them (including doxy) can be hard on the stomach so I'd run it by your vet, especially with belly issues already. Fish oil, MSM even ginger & turmeric all help with inflammation.

And I'm a big believer in probiotics (capsules not yogurt) & liver protection (milk thistle) for long term antibiotic use. The probiotics will help keep his gut healthy & the milk thistle will help support his liver while detoxing the critters & processing the abx.

You mentioned this is not his first go-round with Lyme - did the vet discuss combination abx protocols? It's what they use for humans with chronic Lyme & can be rough but it seems like that's what needed if a single course of doxy doesn't knock it out. Dogs are not people but I'd look into that for sure. I'm not a member of the tick-L but I bet they'd have some thoughts on this too (if you're already a member, pleeze to ignore wink.gif).

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Thanks for all the great advice!

All I have on hand is Metacam and buffered aspirin. :(

But, he just got up, stretched, and walked to the door with only a mild limp, then RAN into the yard to sniff -- first time in over a week! :colgate He had been a tripod with a limp on one of the "good" legs, so this is a huge improvement.

It appears that the doxy is finally kicking in today. We do have an appt on Tuesday to discuss different drug combos, but let's hope this won't be necessary.

BTW, we're going to keep him on doxy for up to 90 days, as long past 30 days as he can tolerate it (we are using a prepackaged probiotics plus Zantac, which really seems to help). Vet mentioned studies showing long-term use for chronic infections seemed to help - anyone know if that's long enough for a chronic infection?

Symptoms came on 4 months after probable exposure, and recurred one week after a 15-day course of doxy.

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

Hope your boy's continuing to do better. Typical recommended course of doxy for Lyme is 4-6 weeks, so 90 days should be more than enough. If he continues to show signs of lameness and joint pain, it may be worthwhile to do a joint tap. Lyme can sometimes cause immune-mediated polyarthritis, which may respond better to steroids than to NSAIDs.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg