Comfortis

tra708

I have used Comfortis in the past. It worked on a regular routine. Currently, I have them on Frontline Plus, "kills fleas, flea eggs, ticks & chewing lice" as it reads on the box, for regular maintenance.

For an infestation, I would also give the dogs a Capstar (Petco carries them), which kills fleas dead within 30-45 minutes. It is only good for 24 hours. This is enough time to do all the other things you will want to do... Wash the dogs with a flea shampoo (i have used Dawn dishwashing detergent upon suggestion of other Grey owners - not all the time, just for infestations)... Wash all their bedding... Sprinkle Borax on the carpeting, let it sit for about an hour, then vacuum thoroughly (empty vac bag in plastic bag, seal bag and throw out). You will want to kill the eggs as well as the fleas. If you are lucky, all this will work without having to re-do all this again. As for the yard, I know there is stuff that can be applied, but I don't know what it is. (I don't do the yard.)

Good luck.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

For an infestation, I would also give the dogs a Capstar (Petco carries them), which kills fleas dead within 30-45 minutes. It is only good for 24 hours.

No need to give a Capstar if you use Comfortis. Comfortis works just as quickly for an infestation, plus it lasts a whole month.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest wmlcml6

My vet said Comfortis is Capstar on steroids. lol No need for both. Within 1/2 hour of using half of a Comfortis, you will begin to see dead fleas. If the fleas are awful, it might look like your dog walked through those weeds that leave little black clingers on your clothes. We experimented with this pill when the fleas here in Florida just laughed at Advantage. Because we weren't sure how the dogs would react, we only used 1/2 of the 60-120 lb dose on our greyhounds. The fleas disappeared and stayed gone for 3-4 weeks. This was at our greyhound farm where fleas were a huge battle. If you have a small 60'ish lb or less greyhound, I might even try the 40-60 lb dose cut in half. That's what I do for Hope who weighs 45. Or I give her a quarter dose of the larger pill.

I don't give on a regular basis at home, but when I see one flea on my girls, I give them each 1/2 a pill and the problem ends there.

I have read that dogs with a history of seizure activity should not use Comfortis. Also, if your dog is being treated with Ivermectin for certain types of mange/dermatitis, Comfortis shouldn't be used during that treatment because it doesn't mix well with that much Ivermectin.

I also would not treat for fleas in combination with other chemical activities like worming or vaccinating. Give the dog at least a week between those things.

I have used comfortis. My dogs (first time ever) got fleas while on Frontline. Was petting one of the dogs and a dead flea fell off the dog on me. It has been about 1/2 hour.

Comfortis is really strong and some dogs have had reactions such a drooling and vomiting. Be sure to read the cautions. My experience was good. One of my girls did drool a bit but it didn't last long.

My girls weight between 64 and 68 lbs. The comfortis dosage for them indicates 60 to 120 lbs. It made me uncomfortable to give them that large of a dose so my vet recommended I try the next lower dose. It worked.

update: gave them comfortis in their dinner tonight. so far no ill effects. hopefully this will help get rid of the flea problem.

thank you for sharing your experiences. do you guys crush the pill and put it in their food? it seemed too big to just try to give it whole.

tra

2rqyqhd.jpg