Free Feeding

XTRAWLD

I ask because when we first got Kasey we were told to just leave food out for him and he will eat as much as he wants to help him put his weight on. He never was a big eater, and we eventually did away with that and fed him 2 square meals a day. What he didn't finish at meal time we left out, and he would pick at throughout the day, most commonly before bed.

With Ryder we can't really leave food out, he's a food maniac.

Something has jump started with Kasey and his eating habits. Maybe when we got Ryder and having another dog made sure that Kasey ate all his food or he'd lose it. Maybe it was when we were feeding raw back in May may have jump started his appetite (we are now back on kibble). Maybe now that he's on Pepcid he feels better. For what ever reason, he now eats a lot. He will sometimes even finish his food before Ryder - which is very hard. A non-food motivated dog has officially become food motivated. How common is this?

I bring up how do you start free feeding because I'm excited to see that he likes to eat now. Because he's been on a low dose of prednisone since 2008 he's never been able to keep a lot of weight on his bones. Now he WANTS to eat, and I'm thinking now is a chance to get some weight back on. He's not skinny and he's not fat by any means, but I would certainly love to see a couple more pounds on him any way I can get it.

We just played with the tornado, and I had a tupperware of kibble beside me and I pushed it over to see how much he would eat, and he just kept eating. I eventually took it away, but wow, I'm surprised.

Thoughts?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Pred usually causes animals to put on weight, it also often makes them want to eat all the time. It may be just a behavioural change for competitive reasons with Ryder now in the house. And not that you should be overly concerned, but I'd keep an eye on his appetite, his drinking habits, his urinating habits etc. just in case something medical is going on. Never hurts to keep an extra eye on them. :)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest verthib

I ask because when we first got Kasey we were told to just leave food out for him and he will eat as much as he wants to help him put his weight on. He never was a big eater, and we eventually did away with that and fed him 2 square meals a day. What he didn't finish at meal time we left out, and he would pick at throughout the day, most commonly before bed.

With Ryder we can't really leave food out, he's a food maniac.

Something has jump started with Kasey and his eating habits. Maybe when we got Ryder and having another dog made sure that Kasey ate all his food or he'd lose it. Maybe it was when we were feeding raw back in May may have jump started his appetite (we are now back on kibble). Maybe now that he's on Pepcid he feels better. For what ever reason, he now eats a lot. He will sometimes even finish his food before Ryder - which is very hard. A non-food motivated dog has officially become food motivated. How common is this?

I bring up how do you start free feeding because I'm excited to see that he likes to eat now. Because he's been on a low dose of prednisone since 2008 he's never been able to keep a lot of weight on his bones. Now he WANTS to eat, and I'm thinking now is a chance to get some weight back on. He's not skinny and he's not fat by any means, but I would certainly love to see a couple more pounds on him any way I can get it.

We just played with the tornado, and I had a tupperware of kibble beside me and I pushed it over to see how much he would eat, and he just kept eating. I eventually took it away, but wow, I'm surprised.

Thoughts?

It's funny you say he's now eating. Gracie came home and we had the HARDEST time getting her to eat. When we adopted Angus she started eating more....eats so much now! She's gained much needed weight and is looking perfect. She always licks her bowl clean. They are both fed in crates so there's no competition but I think it's a case of wanting what the other one has. Angus is a chow hound.

EZ is very finicky....and much more interested in food when he is home in Rhode Island with JJ and Dustin - both of whom stare at him and drool once they finish their meals! At his house, alone in New York, EZ will leave his food, etc. Here, it's like he knows I can't leave it out or else the other two will eat it (and I probably should include the cat in that ....I mean eating the food - not being eaten :lol ).

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Audeamus

I wouldn't free feed but that's because I have a glutonous kitty who would eat herself stupid with Gir's food. :lol

In addition to his meals could you do an add in? If I was trying to get weight on Gir I'd add in some canned tripe :puke in with his kibble. Gir used to be I could feed him in the morning and what he didn't eat for breakfast he'd eat throughout the day. Then we got a cat and now she's more food "interested" than he is , so he decided to eat faster. Maybe that's what happened with Kasey?

I've free fed a TON of dogs.

I think Claudia at Greyhound Gang has done over 500.

Because of Poodles insulin (and now Barkleys rymadyl) I sort of free feed.

They now get two meals a day, probably slightly on the light side but there is always kibble in the bowl. It is seldom used.

Buddy was a vacuum when he first came and I had to pick it up at times and work on it. Now he pretty much ignores it unless he is hungry in the early morning. That works for me.

I had one girl that would only eat in the dark after everyone else was in bed and another that had to lay down by the bowl and snack for an hour.. :dunno

I am very tired and stressed tonight but will respond with better musings tomorrow. :blush

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest jbbuzby

I just wouldn't. I'd feed more meals more frequently, or use enrichment toys to give more food in-between meals. You can also do the add ins or snacks. Canned pumpkin has a lot of calories, dogs love it, and it's relatively cheap. Free-feeding has a tendency to create fussy eaters, more health problems, mental imbalance, unequal division between siblings, blah blah blah. I guess in the long run, it is my opinion that animals are not naturally accustomed to having food available all the time and nature tells them to eat when food is available. Dogs who lose that sense of food seem to develop lots of other problems. But again, this is just my opinion based off of just my experiences of what I've seen working at a vet's office.

If it works for you, then give it a try, though it might be impossible to keep everyone trim if there is food down all the time (you said your other hound is a chow-hound?). Give it a go and see how things are with all your pups and weigh them every week to keep tabs on it to make sure everyone stays healthy :).

Free-feeding has a tendency to create...mental imbalance....

Honestly...please share any studies that prove that...

Am not trying to be mean, just can't understand how free feeding causes mental imbalances.:blink::unsure

Does it also apply in humans? Should I limit myself to two meals a day?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest jbbuzby

Am not trying to be mean, just can't understand how free feeding causes mental imbalances.:blink::unsure

No no, I mean it in the sense that food loses value to them, that special something to look forward to that really is in their nature. Think of how animals spend majority of their time in the wild? There is a lot of debate among even GT users on the extent of connection with wolves and dogs, but I think even domesticated animals share these traits. Cats get immense satisfaction from catching and eating things, and it is my belief that dogs relish doing a "pack" activity and being rewarded with food for a job well-done that makes them feel fulfilled.

While we as humans can logically understand the nutritional value of food as being important to limit in some areas, animals tend to lack this ability. Food to animals is such a large part of their motivation for existence; when it is constantly given to them, many seem to get...well...bored, and fall out of their natural rhythm. This includes physically (potty habits) and mentally, if you at share in my belief of dogs still being "pack" animals (which you very well may not...remember, all of this is still just my opinion). Tamar Geller ((The Loved Dog) writes about the importance of food, a leader, and routine coupled with spontaneity, and IMO, having food readily available just takes away from these things that supposedly make a dog happy.

If nothing else, free-feeding too frequently leads to picky-eaters which is a headache in itself.

Here are some articles/websites that have more information on free-feeeding, if you're still on the fence about it:

http://www.thedogtrainingsecret.com/blog/free-feeding-meal-feeding-age-debate/

http://www.muttropolis.com/content/picky-eaters.cfm

http://www.lucythewonderdog.com/free-feeding.htm

http://www.k9station.com/feeding.htm

Good luck! I hope you figure out something that works for both of your hounds!

No no, I mean it in the sense that food loses value to them, that special something to look forward to that really is in their nature. Think of how animals spend majority of their time in the wild? There is a lot of debate among even GT users on the extent of connection with wolves and dogs, but I think even domesticated animals share these traits. Cats get immense satisfaction from catching and eating things, and it is my belief that dogs relish doing a "pack" activity and being rewarded with food for a job well-done that makes them feel fulfilled.

While we as humans can logically understand the nutritional value of food as being important to limit in some areas, animals tend to lack this ability. Food to animals is such a large part of their motivation for existence; when it is constantly given to them, many seem to get...well...bored, and fall out of their natural rhythm. This includes physically (potty habits) and mentally, if you at share in my belief of dogs still being "pack" animals (which you very well may not...remember, all of this is still just my opinion). Tamar Geller ((The Loved Dog) writes about the importance of food, a leader, and routine coupled with spontaneity, and IMO, having food readily available just takes away from these things that supposedly make a dog happy.

If nothing else, free-feeding too frequently leads to picky-eaters which is a headache in itself.

Here are some articles/websites that have more information on free-feeeding, if you're still on the fence about it:

:gh_runner:nod :nod :nod

I agree 100% :)

Sounds like there are a lot of factors that may have contributed to Kasey eating better - the competition of another dog, the raw feeding, the pred. It also sounds like you went from free-feeding to meal-feeding when you got Ryder? This in itself may also have played a role in making him more food-motivated. While it may be counter-intuitive, I agree with those who mentioned that free-feeding can create picky eaters (great articles, jbbuzby!). I find that dogs who are meal-fed actually eat better and are more excited about their food. When food it available all the time, it's not as appealing and there is no motivation to eat. When faced with an underweight dog who is already being free-fed, I will often recommend switching to meal-feeding.

So if you're asking how to start free feeding because you want to go back to that, my advice would be "don't". If you feel Kasey still needs to gain a little weight, just increase the amount you feed him at his meals, or add in an additional small meal/snack mid-day or at bedime.

The other main reason I prefer meal-feeding is that I feel it helps us keep a closer eye on our dogs' appetite, often the first sign of a health problem. I talk to too many owners with sick dogs who have no idea when or how much the dog last ate because the food is always out.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest verthib

Agree!! Thanks jb.

Edited by verthib

Thanks everyone.

The typical symptoms that dogs generally have with pred are nearly the complete opposite for Kasey. Since being on it in 2008 he's lost weight, not a lot of interest in food, and he pees like crazy without drinking very much at all. He actually retains urine and takes a long time to pee if we don't let him out often. We have stood out there for minutes as he tinkles. The vet is aware of these backward symptoms and we make do, which is why it is such a surprise for me to see his interest in food again.

So instead of free feeding, I've increased the amount of his daily meal feedings and he's happily eating every last kibble I put in his bowl. He looks better and I do think he feels better.

I was curious though for people that get to free feeding for a hound that likes to eat, are you ever worried that he may just eat the whole thing you've put in front of him and become bloated or throw it all up? Do you put a lot down and take it away every minute so he can take a break? I'm convinced if Ryder ever got into one of his bags, he'd sit there and eat everything until he was sick. Do dogs get that FULL sensation and eventually stop gorging?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015