Brees's Tantrums

I posted about this in Cute & Funny the other day, and it is cute and funny -- but it also has the potential to be REALLY irritating, and potentially dangerous if Joe gets PO'd enough at Brees.

The gist of the situation is that Brees has decided that if she wants what we're eating, she should get real close to it, stomp her feet and bark at it. It happened a couple nights ago, and then again tonight. We didn't give her any either time, of course! We've only had her a month, and she doesn't seem "ready" for obedience training yet (too focused on the food to understand she needs to do something to get it, I think). We want to make sure we're not encouraging the "tantrums" in any way, but we don't want to do anything to freak her out (no squirt bottles, etc.). She's just getting really comfortable being home, so watching her personality come out is very cool. Our other hound, Joe, got really peeved tonight when Brees was barking at my ice cream, and barked/snarled at her in a rather scary way. (They've just graduated to not wearing muzzles in the house; I'm not at all sure he won't bite her if she's too bratty!)

I'm not convinced that Brees knows her name, and really not sure she understands "No!". If she does understand "No!", she's not overly motivated to listen to it. :lol She's 2 1/2, last raced in August, came home mid-December after being in the adoption kennel since September. Her favorite thing in the world is sitting in her Daddy's lap. :wub:

Any ideas for non-scary ways to discourage this girl from being such a brat? We're just using arms and legs to block her from our food right now. Meals mostly get eaten on the couch here.

Edited by Riverhound

Guest PiagetsMom

Mirage is such a food hound that we found early on the need to teach a "Go lay down" while we were eating. When Maya came in November, we got another very food motivated pup. It helped that Mirage would go to his bed (which is in sight of our table), and with Maya we started right away with a "Go lay down" and physically took her to the beds. Didn't take her long to catch on at all. It doesn't matter to me where they go lay down, as long as it is away from our table, so they're not always in a bed, but they are elsewhere laying down. Of course, for good pups there's always a treat after dinner :)

I agree that this pup is old enough and settled enough to start learning some boundaries. I'd start working on a command to get the dog to go to specific spot and wait there while you eat. The way my trainer does this is to get a "spot" (bed, towel, rug, just some sort of visual indicator). Walk the dog to the spot on leash, and when she gets on it, party time! Lots of good treats, scritches, praise praise praise. Then let the dog off the bed and totally ignore her for a minute. Back on the spot, party time. Once she gets the idea, add a verbal cue and keep practicing until the verbal is enough to get her to go to her spot. When you first start doing this at meal times (I'd definitely start some time that wasn't, so there is less distraction for Brees), you are going to probably have to get up several times during the meal to reinforce her staying on the mat. You want her to learn that being there will get her what she wants, being in your face won't. She sounds smart, and food motivated, so she should learn pretty fast!

As to learning her name, you need to teach it. Say her name, and when she looks at you, treat. Name, look, treat, name, look, treat, etc., until you get a feel that she knows that it means her, or at least "hey you pay attention to me". I don't know if dogs have enough self-awareness to realize that a name means "them", but that's a separate topic. :)

I would also recommend a positive-reinforcement training class. Dog training can be lots of fun, so give it a try. If you were near me, I know a great one, but since you are across the country, not much help.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest Geostar

Yeah! I do agree with the above member. These hounds are very smart and generally are 'quick' learners! They have to be: being sighthounds, they have that intelligence to determine keep their prey in sight.

My late Grace loved obedience after she was introduced to it. Anything...for a tasty treat! And, it was fun..as she knew that if she followed through with my command, she was rewarded. For a sight hound..that is cool! Tasty treats are cooked franks or bits of low fat cheese..like cheddar.

Our Maria was taught how to sit by her prior owners before we adopted her due to being a return. She is so cute as she sits "so proper" and waits for me to release her so she can eat.

By going through obedience, your hound will realize who the 'boss' is, and will adapt to you much easier. Dogs feel more comfortable when they know 'who' is in charge.

Best wishes and, remember, have fun, too.

=star

If she's being a brat, she's definitely ready for some training. Whether you do it at home or take her to a formal class, make sure it's positive, fun and consistent. We eat in our living room too, and it does take a ew meals before a new dog will get the idea that they are NOT allowed to stand over our food and drool. We basically use the technique described above - it works well and is pretty quick to take hold.

I would also not stop your other dog from disciplining her when she's being a brat. Nothing teaches a young dog manners and boundaries better than another dog. At 2 1/2 she's still basically a puppy, and she needs to be considered one for at least another year, maybe two.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ryder learned his boundaries and manners pretty quick from Kasey. Kasey snarked at him a few times and put him in his place. He is the party police too, and I feel bad that Ryder can't have any fun, but to be honest, Kasey is the reason why Ryder calmed down so much so fast. I took Ryder to obedience class about 10 months after we had him because I wanted to start agility....long story short, I could have taken him much sooner, and in hindsight, I should have. If you feel like a class would benefit you - by all means, go for it. It will help with her energy level as well.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Wasserbuffel

She sure thinks you're ready for training!

when I adopted Jayne, I worked on training within days. To keep her from begging while we ate I moved her to her pillow every single time she approached the table until she learned not to. I did the same when we would eat on couches too. It didn't take her long to figure out. When the humans are eating, she needs to be not in their faces.

Repetition. Repetition. Repetition.

She sure thinks you're ready for training!

:lol :lol :lol

And I'm clearly a slow learner! She did it again at breakfast. When Joe was pesty, we used to crate him -- but the crate was downstairs then, and I think that it made him dislike the crate for a while. I do like the idea of putting her in her bed when she's acting up, so we'll start that. She's really showing us what a good boy Joe is! It's funny; he's stopped counter-surfing and trying to get in the trash since she came home, and he looks totally disgusted when she gets bossy. "Look, Mom & Dad, my little sister is up to no good again!" :rolleyes: