Red Gums After Eating

Guest FlosMomma

Guest FlosMomma

Is it normal that my Flo has red gums around her teeth after eating? Sometimes, she even brushes her face against me/things, paws her face, nits, and/or makes funny sounds. I feed her Dick Van Patton's Natural Balance Lamb & Rice with different garnishes: ham shavings, shredded cheese, mixed veggies, beef shavings, or sardines. The coomon denominator is the dry kibble. Could it be that? If so, what do I switch to and how fast?

I think it sounds like an allergy -- but I'm no expert! I'd try her on an entirely different protein/carb combo (homecooked). If she's on lamb and rice you can try hamburger or chicken with noodles or potato. I'd also leave out the add-ins for a while. Wondering if she has the same reaction with treats/table scraps?

I'm not sure why people are assuming it's necessarily abnormal. I haven't inspected Beth's gums after eating, but I can imagine they might be reddish just from the friction etc. of the kibble. And is totally normal for a greyhound to rub/wipe her face on things after eating (the carpet, a bedspread, whatever's handy :rolleyes: ). Pawing her face might be odd, but some of the behavior you describe just sounds excited. Do the gums go back to a normal pink color afterwards? Does she not do any odd behaviors with her face except right after meals? If so, I wouldn't worry that much about it -- she's not going to have a brief allergy and then be fine.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest FlosMomma

I'm not sure why people are assuming it's necessarily abnormal. I haven't inspected Beth's gums after eating, but I can imagine they might be reddish just from the friction etc. of the kibble. And is totally normal for a greyhound to rub/wipe her face on things after eating (the carpet, a bedspread, whatever's handy :rolleyes: ). Pawing her face might be odd, but some of the behavior you describe just sounds excited. Do the gums go back to a normal pink color afterwards? Does she not do any odd behaviors with her face except right after meals? If so, I wouldn't worry that much about it -- she's not going to have a brief allergy and then be fine.

Yes, about 30 min later they go back to normal. There are no poo problems either...all nicely formed. :rolleyes: Yes, she will do these things after hard chewing treats like dentabones.

I think it sounds like an allergy -- but I'm no expert! I'd try her on an entirely different protein/carb combo (homecooked). If she's on lamb and rice you can try hamburger or chicken with noodles or potato. I'd also leave out the add-ins for a while. Wondering if she has the same reaction with treats/table scraps?

Does the human food equal the amount of kibble food? She gets about a cup and a half of kibble.

Yes, about 30 min later they go back to normal. There are no poo problems either...all nicely formed. :rolleyes: Yes, she will do these things after hard chewing treats like dentabones.

Does the human food equal the amount of kibble food? She gets about a cup and a half of kibble.

I don't honestly know; I've never had to do it! Joe's meals always look huge (3-ish cups once a day -- he won't eat in the morning), Brees eats about that split into two meals, but she's really active. Depending on how big your dog is, I'd start with a decent "people sized" meal and see how she does. And, it might not be allergies, but she'll surely enjoy the special meals while you try to figure it out!

Guest FlosMomma

I would imagine that if it was an allergy you would see her skin on the face, feet etc. becomee red too. She may have gingivitis How's her teeth- do her gums bleed when you brush her teeth??

No, they don't bleed and I brush them daily before bed. They had them cleaned before I adopted her in Nov. 2011, and my vet said her teeth looked great. Sometimes, her ears and belly are pink and seem hotter than normal.

Pink belly is pretty normal -- they have such thin skin, that if they are a bit warm or whatever you see the blood through. I really wouldn't worry about this too much, maybe just ask the vet the next time you're there. I was a new greyhound mom too (well sort of still am after three years) and I remember freaking out (and, yes, going to the vet) about every little thing. OK, well I still do. :rolleyes:

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest verthib

Is it normal that my Flo has red gums around her teeth after eating? Sometimes, she even brushes her face against me/things, paws her face, nits, and/or makes funny sounds. I feed her Dick Van Patton's Natural Balance Lamb & Rice with different garnishes: ham shavings, shredded cheese, mixed veggies, beef shavings, or sardines. The coomon denominator is the dry kibble. Could it be that? If so, what do I switch to and how fast?

Try Dick's fish and sweet potato.

My girl rubs her face on things after eating and she paws her face. I liken it to how a cat washes his face after eating. She looks just like that. Mine also get periodic hot bellies and ears but it passes.