How Much Fish Oil?

Guest chestersmom

Guest chestersmom

Does anyone know how much fish oil to give an 85lb. grey? I purchased some from BJ's Wholesale but they are only sold in 1000mg gel caps. I was told that too much fish oil can be harmful. Thank you.

Mine get a 1000mg capsule twice a day.

I just toss them in with their kibble and they gobble them right up.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Does anyone know how much fish oil to give an 85lb. grey? I purchased some from BJ's Wholesale but they are only sold in 1000mg gel caps. I was told that too much fish oil can be harmful. Thank you.

Mine get a 1200 mg. capsule twice a day in their food. ;)

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

When i give my pups fish oil of any kind, they always get the big D. Has anyone else experienced this?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest BrianRke

You cant really go by the milligrams on the outside of the bottle. You have to look at the EPA and DHA on the back. Mine get 2 capsules each morning containing 360mg of EPA and 240mg of DHA. I believe this is a relatively low dose. Dosages can be much higher if being used to treat or control a problem.

I do not remember the quantity but I was doing the actual oil vs. capsules and my dog loved it. However, it did not agree with her--she didn't get the big "d" but she was very mopey and didn't feel well. I tried to titrate down further and further but in the end simply decided to just stop. I initially was doing it b/c I thought her nails were cracking too much--but that turned out to be more from swimming in the ocean vs. dietary issues. She has been a-okay without it. I guess this is to say it likely depends on the dog in terms of how well and how much they can tolerate. Hope this helps a bit!

One thing to remember about fish oil is that it has characteristics of aspirin in that it is anti-clotting so.... if your dog is scheduled for surgery (like a dental) it's real important to get him/her off the fish oil for about 5 to 10 days before the event. Most vets don't seem to ask about this.

Because of this and because greyhounds sometimes have platelet issues which further complicates the "bleeding issues", I went from giving two capsules a day to 1 a day.

Guest verthib

I give mine an 850 mg capsule every morning and evening with food. A lot of dogs foods contain it so I'm not concerned about it being harmful or taking them off it before a dental.